Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Word for the Weekend: Sheepfold?

Image by EssJay in NZ

Ya gotta love 'em, right?

Who wouldn't?

(Click on the image for a close up!)

Well, that's just what God thinks when looking at us! I can hear the Lord turning to those who are already in the sheepfold of heaven and pointing to us, you and me, and saying to those around him,  
Ya gotta love 'em, right? Who wouldn't?

Of us, his sheep, Jesus says,
I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me,
just as the Father knows me and I know the Father;
and I will lay down my life for the sheep.
I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold.
These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice,
and there will be one flock, one shepherd.
-John 10:14-16

The Lord, Jesus, is our shepherd:
he knows us...
we know him...
he loves us...
he lays down his life for us,
for all of us...

Take a look at this Sunday's scriptures and background on them here (kids look here) as you prepare to worship this weekend. The Shepherd knows us very well... reading his Word is a great way for us to get to know the Shepherd...

Oh, about that word: sheepfold!   Here's what a sheepfold looks like:



Image by Geograph

Note the gate or rather, the missing gate: this week's gospel tells us that Jesus is the gate...



 
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments 

1 comment:

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

What an interesting post -- and a great picture. Yeah, you gotta love them!