Monday, July 30, 2012

Praying 10 minutes today: TUESDAY 7/31

.
Find a quiet time and place to pray... take a few deep breaths...
be still... and know that God is near...


A word to reflect on:   

Remember your word to your servant
   by which you give me hope.
This is my comfort in affliction,
   your promise that gives me life.




(Before moving on to the reflection below,
   spend some quiet time with the scripture verse above...)
 
When times are tough, Lord,
   I want, I pray, I even beg for your help
      and ask that you’ll give it – right away!

All I ask is what you, in your mercy, have promised
   -- and, Lord, I want it now…

But my time and yours aren't always in sync:
   your answer’s seldom swift and often slow in coming.
And when I’m sure I don’t have time to wait,
   when time is running out,
just then, it seems,
   you take your time and you delay
while I wonder what you’re waiting for
   and if I wait in vain...

I trust no fear or worry of mine 
   ever escapes your notice, Lord:
you know long before I 
   which days will be the hardest,
      which nights will be the longest
and yet, you take your time
   and I must bide the time it takes
      ‘til my prayer’s answer finds the light of day…

Until then, Lord, 
   until then I find my hope in your word:
      in your promise to be with me
         even when your face is hidden from my eyes;
      in your promise to sustain me
         even when it seems my life is crumbling;
      in your promise to deliver me
         even when I fear that almost all is lost…

I remember your word, Lord,
   especially when I fear and wonder,
      "Have you forgotten me…?"

I remember your word, Lord,
   especially when I doubt myself
      and my faith and trust in you….

I remember your word, Lord,
   especially when the silence crashes in
      and I long to hear your voice…

I remember your word, Lord,
   especially when I wonder
      if I’ve ever truly heard you speak…

I remember your word, Lord,
   when decisions must be made
       and I need your wisdom’s guidance…

I remember your word, Lord,
   when the next step seems too hard to take
      and only your promise gives me strength…

I remember your word
and hold on to it, Lord, because
   I trust in your presence when I’m alone,
   I trust you to follow me when I walk away,
   I trust you’ll find me when I’m lost,
   I trust in your wisdom when I’m confused,
   I trust you’re still with me when others have left,
   I trust in your comfort when I’m distressed,
   I trust your compassion when I’m in grief,
   I trust in your strength when I am weak,
   I trust you’ll calm me when I’m afraid,
   I trust in your mercy when I have sinned,
   I trust in your Spirit when I’m down and out,
   I trust you still love me when I hate myself…

Your word of promise gives me life, Lord,
   when I’m helpless and hopeless,
      with nowhere to turn…

Your word of promise gives me hope, Lord,
   while I wait for your answer
      in the silence of prayer…

Your word of promise is my help, Lord,
   when my own efforts fail
      and you are my only strength…

In the stillness of my prayer
   while I wait for your answer and peace,
give me comfort in knowing your word is true,
   that my prayer will be answered and my hope's not in vain,
for this is the promise that gives me life,
   Lord of my heart and soul...
   
To ponder and pray over...
What prayer have I been waiting for God to answer?
What's been my prayer while I've been waiting for an answer?
They say things happen "in God's time..."
   Do I trust God is with me while I wait for his time to come?
What part of today's reflection was the hardest to pray? 
What part gave me the most hope? 
What will I ask of the Lord today?
From this prayer time, what word or phrase will I keep with me
   to carry through the rest of my day?

(After you spend some time with these questions,
   pray the reflection above one more time...)


Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.

 
 
   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments: