11/17/13

Monday Morning Offering: 11/18

Image Source

It's November, the month of All Souls, 
and death has visited my family.
On Saturday night we lost Ann,
my uncle Ron's beloved wife of 50 years,
mother to 5 wonderful children and their families,
my aunt by marriage.

Ann was a woman of faith, hope and love
and we entrust her to our God,
praying she'll be welcomed to heaven
by the Lord, his Blessed Mother, the angels and saints
and all of her family and friends who've gone before her, 
marked with the sign of faith... 

Perhaps this Monday morning you'll "pause for prayer"
and join my family as you remember your own loved ones
who've gone before you, marked with that same sign of faith...

This week's Monday Morning Offering includes 3 parts:
a poem, a prayer and a song...

These words from Henry Van Dyke capture the prayerful hope
Christians hold for those who have died.
I am standing upon the seashore.

A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the ocean.
She is an object of beauty and strength.

I stand and watch her until at length
she hangs like a speck of white cloud
just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says: “There, she is gone!”
“Gone where?”
Gone from my sight. That is all.
Her diminished size is in me, not in her.

And just at the moment when someone at my side says:
“There, she is gone!”
there are other eyes watching her coming,
and other voices ready to take up the glad shout:
“Here she comes!”

And that is dying.

Photo by MDH
Sometimes all you can do is hold a hand and pray:
and in the holding, in the prayer, 
there is God... 

From the ritual book for the Pastoral Care of the Sick
Let us pray...
We commend you, dear Ann,
(We commend you, dear ________,)
to almighty God
and entrust you to your Creator.
May you return to God
who formed you from the dust of the earth.

May Holy Mary, the angels, and all the saints

come to meet you as you go forth from this life. 

May Christ who was crucified for you
bring you to his garden of paradise.
May Christ, the true Shepherd,
receive you as one of his flock.
May he forgive all your sins,
and set you among those he has chosen.

May you see your Redeemer face to face,
and enjoy the vision of God forever.

Amen.

And Marty Haugen's beautiful setting of Psalm 23







     
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sympathy to you and all of Ann's family and friends. May she rest in peace.

Rosemary

cwakes said...

Sorry for your loss, Austin. My prayers are with you and Ann's family.