4/28/12

Praying 10 minutes today: Sunday 4/29

Set aside some time for prayer... find a quiet place... take a few deep breaths... be still... and know that God is near...

A word to reflect on:  
Never let evil talk pass your lips; say only the good things others need to hear, things that will really help them.  Get rid of all bitterness and harsh words. Be kind to one another and mutually forgiving, just as God has forgiven you in Christ.  -Eph 4:29-32

St. Paul's words here are strong
and even without too much reflection I know
I need to take them to heart...
What bitterness in my heart 
is the source of harsh words that roll off my lips?
Do I try to think of good things I might say to others,
things that would really help those who'd hear me say them?
Or do I spend time rehearsing angry words I'd like to say,
even if I never actually speak them?
The truth is this: God has never spoken a harsh word to me,
has never spoken a single word that couldn't, in some way, help me...
Even the hard sayings of the Lord are true and just
and meant to help me live a just and honest life...
The words God speaks to me are words of invitation,
words of blessing, words of forgiveness, words of peace,
words of challenge and words of comfort
and all of these are good things I need to hear,
things that will really help me grow...

What words do I harbor?  What words do I speak?
What words does the Lord speak to me?
Be still... and in the stillness listen...
listen to the words echoing in your heart:
the words you have for others
and the words the Lord has for you...
Be still and in the quiet, listen for the helpful words
you might speak to others...
And listen for God's word, calling to your heart...  
be still...  and know that God speaks to you 
a word you need to hear,
a word that will really help you... today...

Here are some tips for praying 10 minutes a day and a link to the Lenten series from which these daily posts originated.  If you find these daily prayer reminders helpful, please let me know - and share them with others.  You'll find an archive of these daily posts here.


 

   
Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

1 comment:

  1. Something I cut out from a parenting magazine years ago is up on my fridge: "The way you talk to your child becomes his or her inner voice." I imagine how I speak related to other things as well, such as how my friends experience me: am I a gossip, or a comfort? And your message made me also think of the way God speaks to me and how I can listen to my inner voice that speaks from His influence.
    Meighan

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!