9/27/07

Mothering God


An earlier post reflected on the work of American bishops in the Anglican Communion at their recent meeting in New Orleans. Todd over at Catholic Sensibility brings to our attention a hymn sung during the course of that meeting. (Todd's blog is an interesting mix of things liturgical - and astronomical - check it out!)

Might be interesting to see what readers here think of these lyrics. If you want to try singing it, you can use the melody of Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow. Not sure you remember that tune? Try listening here to refresh your memory, then come back and sing the hymn. Then let us know what you think...how many times I yearned to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings

Mothering God


Mothering God,
you gave me birth
in the bright morning of this world.
Creator, source of every breath,
you are my rain, my wind, my sun.

Mothering Christ,
you took my form,

offering me your food of light,
grain of life, and grape of love,
your very body for my peace.

Mothering Spirit,
nurt'ring one,
in arms of patience hold me close,
so that in faith I root and grow
until I flower, until I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!