10/28/07

Don't it always seem to go...



It was not long after I arrived at my parish, St. Ann's in Wollaston, that I met Dick, a funeral director at the funeral home next door to my rectory. Our respective professions often put us in the same place at the same time. I believe the first time I met his Joann and their four children was when I was invited to join them for a day trip to the Cape and a family gathering with Dick's parents and his four brothers and two sisters. Thus began a friendship with a family and an extended family that was filled with good times and many happy memories. Over 30+ years my friendship with Dick has been a great gift. This summer at his 60th birthday party, I saw his siblings for the first time in many years - a great reunion!

Dick and Joann have been planning to move to Florida for years. Although I've heard them speak of it often, I'm not sure I thought it would ever come to pass. But Dick retired this summer and later this week he and Joann are making the move to the south. Today I had brunch with them and we said our goodbyes, for now...

More than three decades is a long time to have a friend and looking back I realize that there were times when I took that bond for granted or failed to pay it the attention it deserved. Dick was much more faithful than I at keeping in touch and keeping the friendship alive. I'm grateful for that because our friendship means a lot to me - more than I may have shown over the years.

But now when Dick reminds me that we haven't been in touch, it will take a plane ride not a hop down 95 for us to get together for lunch or dinner. Makes me think of that song Joni Mitchell sang, "Don't it always seem to go / That you don't know what you've got / Till its gone..."

Dick and Joann won't be living too far from Tampa where I have family so I hope that the double draw will get me to the Sunshine State often enough to refresh my family and friendship ties.

Dick and Joann, know that you are loved and you will be missed...

"Don't it always seem to go / That you don't know what you've got / Till it's gone..."

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this with us. It is a great gift to me, though I know it is not for me personally, but it comes at a time when I am moving away from a special friend. In fact, in two weeks. I won't be as far as Florida, but sometimes it doesn't matter how many miles away you are...
    you and your friend and his family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends, true friends ... always stay in touch, no matter what the distance may be. Though they are far in distance, they always remain close in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We moved from Concord to another state just over 2 years ago so this entry touched my heart. After living in Concord for over 40 years my new friends just don't have history with us and we start over - maybe a blank slate is a good thing! We are fortunate that we do get back to Concord periodically and manage to do a little catching up. I treasure my old friends who laughed with me, cried with me, prayed with me, celebrated with me, went to kids ball games over the years, had cookouts, dined at each others homes - often with the husbands doing the cooking(a lovely tradition!), and generally enjoyed life together!
    They will always hold a piece of my heart. Now we have begun anew and will create some new and different memories and friendships in a new phase of our lives but never forgetting the old chapters.
    Thank goodness for blogs and e-mails that help keep us all connected!

    ReplyDelete
  6. APC, I think I know who you are! If you are who I think you are, we still miss you so much here in Concord. Your new friends are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been busted.....maybe! Daisy, I haven't figured you out - or anyone else, but thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. apc,

    I know I know who you are. And I miss you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!