11/4/07

Come on down!



Homily for the 31st Sunday in Ordinary Time
Wisdom 11:22-12:2
2 Thessalonians 1:11-2:2
Luke 19: 1-10
We don’t know what St. Peter looked like,
or John the Baptist, or Mary, or Jesus himself.
We don’t know if they were tall or short,
handsome and beautiful or plain and unremarkable.
We don’t know if they were fat or skinny,
and we don’t know the color of their eyes or hair
The scriptures are pretty much silent
when it comes to the appearance of its characters.

But along comes Zacchaeus and for some reason
St. Luke decides it’s important
that we know that Zacchaeus was short.
Short!
Who cares?
Who cares if Zacchaeus had to climb a tree to see Jesus?

Does it make any difference?
Maybe it does.

Luke tells us that Zacchaeus was
seeking to see who Jesus was…

I’ll bet it’s a fair guess on my part
that just about everyone here this morning is,
in one way or another,
seeking to see who Jesus is…Now, Zacchaeus had trouble seeing Jesus passing by
because he was – well, you know – short!
There was something about Zacchaeus
that made it difficult for him to see who Jesus was.

I wonder:
is there anything about you, anything about me,
that makes it difficult for us to see who Jesus is?

One thing about me
that makes it difficult for me to see who Jesus is,
is fear: my fear that if I see him,
he may look me in the eye and ask something of me
that I may not be ready or willing to give.

For some, it’s their doubts
that make it difficult for them to see who Jesus is:
doubts about faith; doubts about the church;
doubts about God…

For others what makes it difficult or them to see Jesus
may be an unhealed hurt from the past;
disappointment in prayer;
a skeptical mind;
anger at the church…

And for others…
well sometimes only I know for myself,
and you for yourself, what it is about us
that makes it difficult to see Jesus clearly.

Zacchaeus climbed a tree to see Jesus.
I wonder; what do we need to climb?
How do we need to change our perspective
so that we might see Jesus more clearly?

Zacchaeus had the sense to get above things,
to get beyond his own limitations
to see the One he was seeking.
And once he did that, once he climbed that tree,
then the One he was seeking not only saw him
but called him down from the tree
- and went home with him!

(See! That’s what I fear!
Jesus getting so close
that he invites himself to lunch at my place
and sits down at my kitchen table to - talk…)

Zacchaeus often gets a bad rap as a tax collector
and it’s often presumed that he was a cheat and a thief
until he met Jesus.
But the Hebrew word from which Zacchaeus’ name comes
means “pure, clean and innocent.”

The Jericho tax collector up in the tree is “Mr. Clean!”
Perhaps Luke is telling us something here.
No matter how good we might be,
there’s always more to see in Jesus
than what we have already seen.
There’s always more to seek, more to find.
I could climb a tree every day of my life
and every day see Jesus more clearly than the day before.
Acknowledging our own limitations
and looking for ways to work with them,
and to work around them,
and to get beyond them,
is a challenge that will be with all of us, always.

We are here, today, because we want to see Jesus
more clearly today than we did yesterday.

Well, we’ve come to the right place:
we’ve climbed the right tree!
For in this place:
we can hear his very voice in the scriptures;
we can meet him in one another;
and as he invited himself to Zacchaeus’ house,
so he invites himself to our table, his altar.
Here he gives us much more than half of all he has,
he gives everything for us in the Eucharist.
In bread, broken as his body, he gives us healing.
In the cup, poured out as his blood, he gives us life.

He called Zacchaeus long ago and he calls us today
to come down quickly
for he wants to stay, to make his home with us.

For even as we seek to see him,
he has long been seeking us, the lost,
to find us and to give us his peace.

- ConcordPastor

6 comments:

  1. what makes it difficult for me to see Jesus? my anger (mostly at myself), my extreme fear, and my inability (I think because of my fear and anger) to see or even wish for a future...
    what do I need to climb to see Jesus? well, I wish it was as simple as climbing a tree; the truth is, I guess I don't know what I need to climb. Maybe what I need to climb is within myself; I hope I can figure this out and get as high as possible and see Jesus and not be afraid or angry anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that "just a girl" can get rid of the anger and find Jesus with her. Jesus is a great friend to have along on your every day journeys. All I can say is let go of the anger and invite him to travel with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right, anonymous. "Just a girl", being angry is so much work and depletes you of your energy and spirit. Obviously, someone has hurt you very much. But why give power to that person by letting them rule your life? Try to do what anonymous has advised ...try to slowly let it go, and give it to God. Then look to a brighter future to what you have been living with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. anonymous and grace: I appreciate your comments; you should know that I do love God and ask him to be with me every day, every minute of every day. Yes, anger (and fear and sadness) does take away my energy and spirit; it is a battle I fight every day. And I DO fight it, but I don't always win. It is very complicated- it is just so much easier said than done. And I think it is "easy" for people to tell others to just do it, but they don't say- HOW. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can tell me HOW. Again, thank you, and I do appreciate what you said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, "just a girl". The "how" is the hard part. Just like when someone tells you to lose weight and eat healthy. Easier said than done! Sometimes therapy, medication, or just reaching out to friends helps you see the world in a brighter light. The "how", is different for everyone. It takes hard work and a willingness to want to heal and let go. My faith is what helped me in difficult times. Hope it helps you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear "Just a girl",
    You need to find your own way to the "how". And believe me that can be a long and difficult road to travel. Reaching out to people is the best way to start. A good therapist, therapy groups, day and eveing programs that address your issues, spiritual advisor, medical doctor and medications are all ways to put yourself in the process. It is not easy, but it is better then the alternative to walk away and live with the deep pain that comes through your comments.You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!