11/2/07

In November, the Month of All Souls..


The Hebrew script above is translated below in two prayers: one for a mother who has died; one for a father who has died. These prayers are from Siddur Sim Shalom: a prayerbook for Shabbat, festivals and weekdays, edited and translated by Rabbi Jules Harlow.
God redeems our life from the grave. May we all be charitable in deed and in thought, in memory of those who walk the earth no longer.
May we live unselfishly, in truth and love and peace, so that we will be remembered as a blessing, as we this day lovingly remember those whose lives endure as a blessing.
For a mother who has died...
May God remember the soul of my mother who has gone to her eternal home. In loving testimony to her life I pledge charity to help perpetuate ideals important to her. Through such deeds, and through prayer and memory, is her soul bound up in the bond of life. May I prove myself worthy of the gift life and the many other gifts with which she blessed me. May these moments of meditation link me more strongly with her memory and with our entire family. May she rest eternally in dignity and peace. Amen.
For a father who has died...
May God remember the soul of my father who has gone to his eternal home. In loving testimony to his life I pledge charity to help perpetuate ideals important to him. Through such deeds, and through prayer and memory, is his soul bound up in the bond of life. May I prove myself worthy of the gift life and the many other gifts with which he blessed me. May these moments of meditation link me more strongly with his memory and with our entire family. May he rest eternally in dignity and peace. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. These words truly helped soothe a dear friend this day. Thank you for providing us with the wisdom of other faith traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you, anonymous, for any way in which you were the link between this cyber page and your friend...

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!