11/3/07

Table Manners - made simple!



Finally!

In this weekend's Boston Sunday Globe Magazine there's a hint about figuring out which bread plate and which water glass is yours at a formally set table.

Here's what you do.

Make the "OK" sign with both hands (index finger tip to thumb tip). Best to do this discreetly, perhaps in your lap! You'll see that your left hand "OK" sign makes a "b" and your right hand makes a "d" - bread plate on your left, drinking glass on your right. So simple!

Next time I'm at a crowded table at a wedding reception, I'll look like I dine this way every night!

3 comments:

  1. Love it!!! Will pass on this method to my grandchildren!
    Who taught you that trick?
    Nover know what tidbit of info I will find on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another helpful hint I learned somewhere along the road....a waiter or waitress is supposed to serve from the left and remove from the right. For the longest time I never could remember which was which until I associated the "r" with "remove" and "right"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother-in-law cemented this in my mind when I was the young girlfriend of her son;I sheepsihly admitted to being confused by formal table settings..."eat on the left, drink on the right" she said...and to this day I remember...thanks Mom!

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!