12/24/07

Greetings on this holy day!




Christmas 2007

Merry Christmas!

Long before there was any question about the political correctness of wishing others a “Merry Christmas,” the pastor of the parish of my youth (Monsignor John Cusack, St. Richard Parish in Danvers, MA) took the occasion every year of telling us why he preferred to wish everyone a “Happy Christmas.” He’d point out that we never wish anyone a “Merry Easter” and would question whether this adjective for Christmas, dating back to the 17th century, was the best one for us to use today. The first printed Christmas card (1843) wished recipients a “Merry Christmas” but at the end of A Visit From St. Nicholas (‘Twas the night before…), Clement Moore wishes his readers a “Happy Christmas.” The history, then, is mixed. “Merry” seems rather light and even “Happy” might fail to bear the weight of this day’s wishes. What kind of Christmas do we hope and pray our family and friends will have?

My prayer is that you will have a Joyful Christmas: a Christmas rooted in the inner serenity deep faith provides, strong enough to survive the disappointments and sorrows life delivers to our doorstep and exuberant enough to celebrate life’s happiest times. May the birthday of Christ touch you with deep joy...

I pray, too, that you will have a Peaceful Christmas: the peace the world so clearly is unable to give itself; the peace that broken hearts long for; the peace that is ours to share with one another in forgiveness, kindness and charity. May the birthday of Christ sow seeds of peace in your heart...

Finally, I pray that you have a Hopeful Christmas. So much in the world around us encroaches on our capacity to hope: a spirit abroad that seems intent on draining the beauty and poetry from our lives while our ever burgeoning knowledge robs us of awe and reverence before the mystery of life, of love and of God. May the birthday of Christ renew hope in your heart...

I wish you a Joyful, Peaceful, Hopeful Christmas and should your Christmas be and Merry and Happy, too – all the better! Please pray the same for me.

Peace,
ConcordPastor

7 comments:

  1. I wish you all the same wishes you give to us. Thanks for the good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Joyful, Peacful, Hopeful Christmas, Concord Pastor!

    Once again you have written about something near to my mind! I have been thinking lately how inappropriate "Merry" seems to me, but hadn't put my finger on it. You have: the term "Merry Christmas" just seems light to me, too. Somewhat akin to greeting someone with "How are you." Do we really want to know or is that just another way of saying "Hello?"

    I do find that people seem to mean to wish each other blessings of the season more on Christmas Eve and Day itself, but usually the seasonal greeting is more of a hello, I think.

    Just this morning my wife and I were discussing this very topic. She points out that "Merry" seems fleeting. Your wishes, Concord Pastor, seem more to the point.

    A Joyful, Peaceful, and Hopeful Christmas to you and all your readers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy, Merry, Joyful, Peaceful and Hopeful Christmas to you too, Concord Pastor!

    Little do you know the gift that you have given to me since I found your blog. Each day, I enter the website hoping to find some type of message that lifts my spirit and brings me to contemplate the mysteries of this life we are living. Almost everyday, you succeed at doing so. I sincerely thank you for that.

    May God bless you and all of your readers on this Christmas Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the same to you, Father, many-fold :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe your blog will start a new tradition! Wishing you all a joyful, peaceful and hopeful Christmas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. God bless you, Concord Pastor. Am looking forward to Midnight Mass and will wish you a Joyful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful words to read and hold dear. All what you said and more to you Concord Pastor and all of you out in cyberspace. May you all fid peace and beauty in your lives!

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!