2/9/08

Simply Living Lent - I



Simply Living Lent - Week OneEach Saturday in Lent you will find here, for the coming week, a prayer for Morning and Night and reminders for fasting and caring for the poor...

MORNING PRAYERDear God,
Help me to discover what you want to do in my life this Lent...
I am often blind to your presence, deaf to your voice,
too busy to see you right at my side...

Open my eyes to the ways you will meet me in these 40 days...
Open my ears to the words you will speak to me...
And open my heart to the ways you want to heal me...

On my Lenten journey you invite me:
to pray, that I might grow closer to you;
to fast, that I might hunger for what is truly satisfying;
to care for the poor, that I might deepen my dependence on you.
Teach me to pray, Lord - help me make the time.
Keep me faithful to fasting - nourish me with your Word and presence.
Give me a generous heart - help me see that I have more than I need.

Oh, and I have a special favor to ask of you, Lord, and here it is...

And there are some folks I know who need your help:
you know their names already, but let me mention them now...

Lord, in your love and mercy, hear my prayer…

Our Father...


NIGHT PRAYER
Another day is done, Lord…
I’m grateful for your staying by my side,
even when I followed my own path and not yours.

Help me to look back on this day
to see it as you saw it...

Give me good rest, I pray, and peaceful dreams...

Send your angel of peace
to shelter my family and friends,
and your children everywhere,
especially the innocent who suffer hunger and violence.

As I sleep this night, Lord,
fill me with the grace and strength I will need
to walk with you along tomorrow’s path...

Hail Mary...

Fasting
•This week, the particular food or beverage I will give up is...
•This week, the particular activity or pleasure I will give up is...
•This week, the old, bad habit I’ll work on is...

Caring for the Poor
•This week I’m donating groceries to the local food pantry 1
•This week I’m shopping for my gift for the Easter Giving Tree 1
•This week, I’m making a contribution
to my Lenten offering box or my favorite charity 1
•This week... 1

-ConcordPastor
You might print this post and place it where it will be at hand.
Adapt the options for Caring for the Poor
to your particular circumstances.

2 comments:

  1. I Love the prayers. Especially the morning prayer. It says so much of what I want to say each day.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Help me to discover what you want me to do with my life. I need your help, O Lord, to find my way.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!