2/14/08

To tell the truth



I'm not a big sports fan at all. Sports news has to claim a column or two on page 1 before it catches my attention. The Rocket has my attention.

The hearing yesterday was akin to grilling two little boys in front of a baseball-shattered broken window. Which little boy threw the ball? "He did!" "No, HE did!" My own instincts and what I've read give me a good idea of who's telling the truth here - even if the other boy's track record with the truth hasn't been all that great.

But my interest in the story has not so much to do with Roger as with us... What is it in us that persists and protests I didn't do it - even when we know we did and long after such stubbornness should have become a childhood memory?

It's easy to point the finger across the congressional table and at someone else. But do we have the honesty to point the finger at ourselves? What are the realities in our own lives that we consistently deny? What are the things about ourselves that we pretend, even out loud, not be part of us? What in our past are we unwilling to confront and confess?

Fortunately, none of us is likely to have to appear before a congressional committee, under the glare of media lights. The forum for my judgment and yours is almost always more private, known only to a few or perhaps even confined to my own integrity and conscience as I stand before God.

It may be easy to discern which little boy is telling the truth about the ball and the broken window. It's much more difficult when the little boy or girl is you or I.

-ConcordPastor

7 comments:

  1. Interestingly enough, when I saw the wrangling going on yesterday at the cngressional hearing, it immediately brought me back to when my 2 sons were little and doing the "he did it" finger pointing!...and with soldiers dying in Iraq, people homeless and hungry in our own country, I am left to wonder WHY we were hearing this exchange at all?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot figure out what Roger et al has to do with Congress. Sen Specter now wants to investigate the patriots and their video taping. There must be more important business for our elected officials to take care.

    I agree someone should admit to the truth. Both people cannot be telling the truth ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Roger. His integrity lies on the line. Everything he's based his career on, and so it seems, his life.

    But in the end, when he dies, will God ask him if he was a great pitcher, or will he ask him how he lived his life? Was he honest? Did he care for others? Did he care about how his actions affected others? Did he hurt other people?

    Only God knows, and only God can judge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's easy to discern the truth, but even more difficult to confront the reality and take responsibility when the little boy is a bishop or cardinal in our church. Secret sins are forgiven in private and never see the light of day. Didn't Christ lead by example? Isn't it time for accountability?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pitiful state we are in when we really care what Clemens did or not. It's the lying that bothers me more than anything. We all have our opinions about who is telling the truth here, but what a waste of taxpayers money. In the grand scheme of things, is this THAT important? Not in my mind.
    I agree with anonymous. Surely there are other world interests that are certainly more important than Roger Clemens. Is this what our government is spending our money on. Pitiful. That's what it is...pitiful.
    Let MLB take care of itself, not the government. I wish I knew how much money is being spent on these proceedings. Money that would greatly benefit so many other need based programs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I purposly have not allowed myself to follow this rediculous story.

    Your right about the two boys pointing fingers. Its SOOO true!

    In my line of business there are three sides to every story. [each persons version and then in the middle somewhere is the truth]

    It seems Rogers Ego and Persona are getting in the way of his standing up for his own actions.

    I like how Rodney Harrison handled it! He admitted it, took his fine and moved on.

    My advice to Roger: Stand up and be a man, own up to your actions, move on, and live life as a good person!

    ROB

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!