5/31/08

As rare as a day in June...


Irises by Vincent Van Gogh (click on image for larger version)

Tomorrow is the first day of June! I am very ready for summer, for slowing down a bit, for warm days and for a real change of seasons.

How about you?

From my Glee Club days in high school I remember singing Rodgers and Hammerstein's June Is Bustin' Out All Over but at the time I hadn't seen Carousel and so I had no context for the rollicking show stopper . Take a few minutes now to enjoy the singing and dancing here at Nettie Fowler's Spa!

(YouTube has disabled embedding this video so you'll need to click on the "singing and dancing" link. The video is in letterbox format: for a larger version, click on the icon in the lower right hand corner of the
YouTube box.)

You know, they just don't make movies with 8 minute long song and dance numbers any more! When I was working in Campus Ministry at Notre Dame (1978-1982) the University would run movies in the dining hall that was open all night during finals. I recall going over one night when My Fair Lady was the featured flick. The students would laugh every time Professor Higgins, Colonel Pickering, Eliza or Freddy broke into song in Covent Gardens, their homes, at the race track or "on the street where you live." While I know most sane people don't sing like that in public, I still like to think that it could happen or that there are times when we walk around with a song in our hearts waiting and wanting to be sung.

Enjoy the clip from Carousel!
Enjoy June and enjoy the summer!

-ConcordPastor

4 comments:

  1. I have always loved all those musicals, and often thought while attending shows such as these, wouldn't be nice if in real life people sang to you!

    And yes, I couldn't be any happier summer is near and the winter is becoming a distant memory. People are nicer and happier in good weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to see a copy of my favorite painting by Van Gogh and to read your affectionate memory of a time in musical theater long gone. If you haven't yet seen "The Drowsy Chaperone," you must! I think you'd you'd find it over-the-top delightful. Happy June!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things I love about dance and theater is that we REALLY DO burst out into song (and dance) especially when we are in tribe mode -- You know, surrounded by other like minded individuals! One of my favorite places that we spontaneously started dancing was at the airport. I guess if you did that nowadays they'd arrest you for acting in a suspicious manner!

    When I was four years old I wanted to move to "Oprah" when I grew up. I thought it was a country where everyone sang all their words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first saw the movie version of "West Side Story," I reacted the way the students at Notre Dame did. Somehow Maria's boyfriend looked like Bugs Bunny to me causing me to laugh when he would burst into song. I have matured a bit and I imagine the Notre Dame students have as well.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!