5/23/08

Do we know (him in) the breaking of bread?


Photo by Terry

At the heart of the Eucharist is the breaking of bread which is, in fact, another name for the celebration of the Lord's Supper.

In Jesus' time and in the ancient world the breaking and sharing of bread was, in itself, a ritual act rich and deeply layered with meaning and social implications. How Jesus identifies himself with the bread and the cup of the Jewish ritual meal amplifies those layers and implications exponentially!

I fear that our unfamiliarity with such an action in our day to day lives may diminish our appreciation of the same action in the Eucharist. The image above is a Kouloura. This traditional Macedonian Wedding Bread was made throughout the Macedonia and in some regions, this tradition continues. On the wedding day, the bride breaks this round bread in two parts. She leaves one half at her family home, signifying her appreciation for her upbringing. The second half of the bread is presented to her new home, signifying expected prosperity and abundance in her life with her husband.

Below is the joy in breaking the
Kouloura!


Photo by John Kapaniris

As we approach the Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ, I can't help but think that our understanding of Eucharist as the Breaking of the Bread would be enhanced if breaking bread were part of our daily lives and the special events in our lives. Of course, it might help, too, if the bread we used for Eucharist could be closer in its substance to what we ordinarily understand as bread in our culture.

Perhaps just once in a while (or more often!) we might think of buying a large beautiful, unsliced bread to share at the dinner table and special meals. Nothing can ever nourish us more deeply than the Eucharist and no breaking of bread can surpass the fractio in the Eucharist, but simply learning to break bread at our own tables might deepen our understanding of the sign Jesus chose to leave us to remember him and find him present at the Table of the Sacrament.

-ConcordPastor

3 comments:

  1. concordpastor, I don't really see or understand it. We don't all become, and indeed, we all are not all what we receive through communion. For example: I know I'm not a "bad" person, but I also know I'm not even close to the goodness in Jesus that I receive in the bread of communion. I receive communion in the hope of having Jesus in me. Having him in me to help guide me to work through him.
    But, to be honest, it doesn't always work well. Not that I can see anyhow. I'll keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary: thanks for your comment. I think that perhaps you were commenting on the newest post "We are what we eat!" where I quoted from St. Augustine's homily.

    I understand your dilemma and I think many may share it. The answer, I believe, lies in asking how we understand the term, "the Body of Christ." It is clear Church teaching (from the scriptures and tradition) that WE are Christ's body in the world; we are his members and he is the head.

    At Communion time, then, the Body of Christ is offered by the Body of Christ and shared with the Body of Christ, God's people. The mystery we offer is our own mystery precisely because we are Christ's body. That does not mean that we are claiming to be perfect - not at all - but even with our imperfections we are members of Christ's body, the Church.

    Does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that is very helpful. Thank you! And yes, I did mean to comment in the post above this one...I don't know how that happened.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!