5/27/08

Love, sex and text messaging...


Image by CatholicWord.org

H/T to a faithful reader who draws our attention to a short, thoughtful post by Sidney Callahan on the America blog. (A link to this blog is always available on the sidebar here.)

In addition to an eye-catching title (got you to read this post, right?) Callahan deftly snapshots the American cultural experience and teases some implications for the worship question. She gets more said in a short space than most of us might, but I'm hoping that you'll try your hand at responding to her opening question, "Why go to Mass?" More specifically, "Why do you go to Mass? What drags you out of bed into pew on a Sunday morning? How does the ritual repetition enhance your spirituality? Are there ways in which ritual dulls your spiritual experience?"

(Here's another America article from three years ago by John Baldovin, SJ, which might help you ponder these questions. And from a different point of view, U.S. Catholic offers us a piece on Ten Reasons Not to Go to Mass.)

I look forward to you reading your thoughts! (I know you have them: I just have to pray that you might articulate them!)

-ConcordPastor

Love, Sex and Text Messaging

Why go to mass? Like other Americans, many Catholics claim to be "spiritual but not religious." They cannot believe that missing mass is a mortal sin, (who does?) nor do they feel obligated to support their(?) parish.

But Catholics today do appreciate friendship, sex, and communication; however they don't relate their insights to Sunday worship, as they well might.

Yes, God speaks to the soul in those "peak experiences"of beauty, nature, and music. Yet at mass spiritual seekers can receive God's own "text messages," in the inspired words of scripture.

The word of God focuses and concentrates "spirituality". God's Word can breach those habitual mind-sets that have been built up as defenses. Attention! Attention! Wake up! This way to the Truth and the Life.

Well, maybe, but what about the complaint that mass is boring? Repetition and slow moving rituals may try the short attention span of media wired moderns in an ADHD culture. But here's where knowing more about friendship comes to the rescue.

Friends become friends by repeated low key, slow moving periods of "hanging out"together. They routinely indulge in retelling memories of the past and all know their standard lines. Face to face time includes companionable silence as well.

Ritual repetition, along with intense and restful moments also mark the practice of love and sex. Love increases with each loving act and so do sexual bonds. It's the repeated unions of body, mind and love that generate the energy for large hearted living.

Similarly, each loving union with Christ's risen body in the Eucharist expands and transforms the heart. Going to communion gives birth to new Christ like persons. God becomes human so that humans can become God. "Theosis," "deification" are the technical terms describing the astounding promise.

Since growing up into Christ is not the work of a day, we worship over and over--supported and encouraged by our sojourning brothers and sisters.

Then there are the regressions and lapses into childishness: "I want what I want when I want it. Who wants to be like God, anyway?"

In the worst of moods. I don't want to open up to anybody, much less to the "One Who makes all things new." Please, just dim the lights and shut the door, thank you.

But somehow if I drag myself into that left rear pew, the starter button becomes pressed and the motor slowly turns over. A few sparks flicker and a flame flares up.

In the end we go to mass to be set afire. Light from Light, at last.

-Sidney Callahan

7 comments:

  1. I hate to appear to be cynical, but I think many people don't go to mass because they are simply lazy. If someone cultivated a relationship the way some cultivate a relationship with God, I am afraid it wouldn't be much of a success story. While I know many people do have legitimate reasons for not attending mass, e.g., being marginalized by the church, many more I fear have just rationalized their own preferences to do things other than go to mass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous: thank you for your comment... BUT... why do YOU go to Mass?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go to mass for a number of reasons. Number one, I feel God's presence there. Even if the mass itself doesn't reach my spiritual self, the presence of Christ does. All I have to do is look to the cross. I find Him there.

    I go to mass to connect with people, also. I like to see the people at mass and actually "people watch". I find I learn from those I watch. I can see their sorrows sometimes, and see their strengths. I most often leave, wanting to be stronger, wanting to try to help others, and be a better person. Don't always succeed, but "mass" gives me hope it's possible.

    Mass gives me comfort. Comfort from lonliness, helplessness, sadness, sorrow, grief, and respite from troubles that are facing me when I leave that church.

    That is why I go to church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go to mass to feel closer to God. Ultimately, it makes me feel closer and embedded to/in the "community" of Catholics with whom we worship, as well. I feel secure in knowing that we are all there to worship because we have the same underlying beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the challenge to articulate our thoughts about why we go to Mass. As I was drafting my response, it started to sound like the childrens’ book, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (“If you give a mouse a cookie, he’s going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he’ll probably ask you for a straw” and so on.) So, if you’ll pardon my imitation, here’s a condensed explanation of why I go to Mass:

    I go to Mass because I sing in the choir. I sing in the choir because I like to pray twice, both with spoken and sung voice. I like to pray twice because I believe it’s important to praise God with others in my faith community. It’s important to praise God with others in my faith community because we’re meant to help each other on this journey of life. We’re meant to help each other on this journey of life because we are servants to one another. We are servants to one another because Jesus served us. Jesus served us because he wanted to remind us of the wondrous love that God has for us and asked us to love one another. We are reminded of the wondrous love and asked to love one another because it makes the world a better place to live in. The world can be a better place to live in if we join our voices in prayer. If we join our voices in prayer, then you might as well sing along with the choir because when you sing, you pray twice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I go to mass because it is part of the fabric of my being. I cannot imagine not going to mass. To gaze on the crucifix above the altar and realize what Jesus did for me is for me very emotional. To receive the body and blood of Christ in the Eucharist is a gift for which I am most grateful. To hear a meaningful homily is something that lifts my spirits. To be in community with those around me gives me happiness. To participate in the liturgy with its biblical readings and beautiful music fills me with joy. The seasons of the liturgical year as they are played out in the mass give a rhythm to my life. I started going to mass at a very young age and have continued throughout my life. I am very grateful to my parents for setting an example that I have willingly continued.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I go to mass for many of the same reasons that other above stated:
    community- I too learn from others by watching
    connection with God
    comfort
    tradition
    prayer and song
    the feel of God's love and His presence

    If I have missed mass- I really miss mass, especially when I have not been to my home parish. Mass is like coming home - you get a feeling of being loved unconditionally and it is really nice to fell that way. (even though I sometimes need to reminded of that and appreciate being reminded through readings and homilies.

    Teacher

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!