6/25/08

One more cup of tea...

My sister emailed to remind my brother and me that this is the anniversary of our father's death, 33 years ago... It's hard to believe that my father has been gone for more than half of my life... Could it have really been that long ago? Am I really that old? The answers to those questions are, of course, yes and yes...

I miss my mother and father in many ways and in different ways but perhaps most of all I regret that they are not here to share in the joys of their children's lives.

I remember sitting at the kitchen table with my mother a year or so after my father had died and asking her if she missed him. (Yes, a foolish question!) She told me that after caring for him as he struggled with cancer she was grateful that his suffering had come to an end but that indeed she missed him very much. Then she told me that the one thing she would love would be to sit at that same kitchen table and, just one more time, see my father pull into the driveway, coming home from work, and come into the house to have a cup of tea with her...

It's the simple joys that mean the most and the ones we miss the most when they are gone...

How I would love to see my parents with my sister's new grandson! How I'd love for them to worship on a Sunday morning in my brother's parish and in mine...

Certainly, in faith, I believe that they continue to share in our joys and that with all the saints in heaven they intercede for us, placing our needs and burdens before the Lord...
Still, it would be nice to have that cup of tea...

For today, however, I will remember that, indeed, it's a blessing to have friends in high places!

(Image:
Communion of Saints by Ira Thomas)

-ConcordPastor

4 comments:

  1. well said. I feel the same way. My Mom and Dad would be very proud of teh grandchildren and great grands too. Although they might wonder what is going on in the Church today I know they would love Holy Family Parish . i often think of them. They too shared many cups of tea !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother and father have been dead for 27 and 22 years respectively. They never met the last 5 of their grandchildren(out of 16).
    It is interesting though that I have had 2 profound experiences of my mothers presence, the first the day my firstborn was married, and the second the day his wife gave birth to our first grandchild. I could just "feel" her with me. My mother was not a tea or coffee drinker; we did spend many moments around bowls of Wise Potato chips and onion dip, sipping on Cokes! (Is it any wonder I have a weight problem!!!!???)
    Ohhh how I wish we could see them delight in their first great-grandaughter..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the thoughtful commentary. We all have dates held dear marking the birth and/or death of family and friends. It is interesting to reflect upon events, large and small, that have transpired in the years since someone dear died. We need to appreciate the moments we have exactly for what they are and savor every cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss both of my parents and my husband as well. His birthday was June 24. Even though he was a lifelong Unitarian, he loved the fact that his birthday was the feast of St. John the Baptist. He would mention it each time his birthday rolled around! R.I.P. to all of our loved ones.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!