6/1/08

Word for the Week: Tefillin!


A college student wears the tefillin: image by Chabad at USC

The new Word for the Week gives us Moses' reference to a tefillin or a phylactery. These small leather boxes are worn on the forehead or strapped to one's arm. Inside are small compartments in which are placed pieces of parchment with important verses from the Torah. This custom keeps the heart of the Law close to the one who wears the tefillin.

It's not unusual for Christians to wear a Cross or Crucifix or religious medal around the neck. But suppose Christians practiced the custom of wearing a tefillin. What verses of scripture would you place in the small leather container to keep "on your mind" or by your side?

In other words, which words of scripture help you to build your house on the rock Jesus mentions in today's gospel? What scripture verses provide you with strength and shelter? Maybe a psalm? (Think of the psalm refrains we sing at Mass, the ones you might sing on the way home or later in the week...) Perhaps a parable? an incident in Christ's life? a teaching of Jesus?

What words would you carry in your
tefillin?

-ConcordPastor

4 comments:

  1. I would carry psalm 91, "Be with me Lord, when I am in trouble". I find it very comforting. I googled the verse to find out the psalm number, and found the psalm on YouTube!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you 'mary'. I "googled" my favorite psalm, and listened to a version of "Shepherd me beyond my wants, beyond my needs". Isn't "google", spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google is indeed spectacular!

    Looking for the chapter and verse of a scripture quotation?

    Simply Google what you remember, for example, "for my yoke is easy" and add "nab" for "New American Bible" which is the translation most Catholic folks here on a Sunday morning.

    Add "video" to the Google search and you'll come up with whatever sung versions of your text are available.

    Spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No question. Psalm 139. Leaving out verses 19-22! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!