6/4/08

Word for the Weekend: Singing in the Rain!



It's raining as I write this on Wednesday afternoon so I thought I'd call on Gene Kelly to remind me that all the singing and dancing doesn't need to wait for sunny days - even in early June!

Rain figured importantly in last week's gospel and the weather calls for rain in this Sunday's first scripture as well. Last week's rain was a threatening storm, this week the precipitation is both a longed for spring rain to give the earth a good soaking - and a passing morning dew, a sign of how easily our zeal can evaporate.

What kind of rain is falling in your life? How do you thirst for the life-giving rain of God's presence? Where do you turn when clouds of stormy weather darken your horizon?

It's Wednesday and time to post the scriptures for this coming Sunday, the 10th Sunday in Ordinary Time. Take some time now to read and pray over the readings and some background material to help you understand them.

Got kids? Then help them find a children's view of this Sunday's scriptures and assist them in preparing to hear the Word at Mass this weekend.

P.S. If you'd like to see another version of Singing in the Rain -- on ice -- see Kurt Browning's rendition on skates! This program had to be shot in short bits because the 'rain' kept melting the ice.


-ConcordPastor

4 comments:

  1. One of my favorite movies and I always pretend I am gene Kelly when I carry an umbrella...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain can be refreshing, renewing. I think of the rains greeted with outstretched arms after a period of being parched, drought stricken.

    How intriguing our use of words. When we have grey skies we pray for sun. When the sun bakes us we pray for shade; for moisture.

    The restorative power of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hadn't thought of this in years, but when I was growing up, every time we had a big downpour, my brothers and sister and I used to run outside fully clothed and just play in the rain until it stopped. We would return home thoroughly soaked. What possessed us to do this I do not know, but what fun it was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I watch Gene Kelly, dancing and singing in the rain, it reminds me of what it feels like when you fall in love. It's such a high, and such an experience that everyone should have. I hope one day, to have it again, even if it is an "after life" experience. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!