7/12/08

Catching up!



Parish life does slow down some in the summer. Parish councils, commissions and committees meet less often and traffic in the parish office diminishes as many folks head out of town on vacation. But you know... things never slow down as much as you thought or hoped they would! So, just when I thought I'd be having more time for posting here, I find that's not altogether so.

Or maybe it's just that I'm slowing down!

I just finished writing my homily for this weekend. For some reason, every summer, I find I start writing shorter homilies. Our church is air conditioned so I don't have to worry about folks passing out from the heat at Mass. There's a different challenge in writing a shorter homily. If you write then you know that shorter pieces are more difficult to write than longer ones - and they take more time. So, I just spent a longer-than-usual amount of time writing a shorter-than-usual homily.

There's a conciseness to a shorter homily that I like but I'm also aware of other points I'd like to make, illustrations I'd like to offer and more references to the day's scriptures that might be helpful. Still, there's something about really honing in on one major point that sharpens the message and, I believe, renders many listeners more inclined to stay with you.

Whaddayathink? Longer or shorter homilies? What needs to be in a long homily to make you stay with the length? Does hearing a shorter homily with one major point help you better carry that message through the week? Or does a longer homily with more to chew on give you material to last until Sunday next?

You know where the combox is!

- ConcordPastor




10 comments:

  1. Shorter homilies with the option of retrieving study aids/point for reflection online and in the bulletin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If a homily is too short, I sometimes feel cheated. I look forward to listening each week and try to learn from what is preached upon. But if the substance is something that makes an impact, short is OK. A long homily is painful when a preacher is all over the place and not making much sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your homilies are always great - longer or shorter. I heard a story recently of a priest who a couple of weeks ago announced that he was not giving a homily. He thought he was giving his congregation a treat. I personally look forward to your "breaking open the word" and would be sorely disappointed if you ever announced you were not giving a homily. Look forward to hearing your shorter homily this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta 'fess up here!

    Just did my customary Saturday morning review of the homily I wrote last night and, well, um - it got a little longer! But not too much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, I don't think it's the length of a homily, but the "quality". (I hope I've used the "right" word here) Some people have a gift for communicating in that way and some, well, don't. If a homily is confusing and I can't relate to it, it just makes me (more) anxious and upset and confused. Going to Mass and my faith is a huge part of my hope and strength to get through the days- if I have a negative experience at church, it is very hard for me to "get back on track".

    I hope this makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard your homily in person. I read and reflect on them weekly and I love how you always connect the Word to the Table of his Body and Blood...our Source and Summit. Hopefully you do that in your shorter homilies as well.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer a homily with one major point, presented in such a way that less-important points are included -- fleshing out the main point and adding interest but not taking the homilist off into tangents. Please give us one major point that will be our thought for the week.
    Remember the Parable of the Three Bears: too big, too small, and just right!
    Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not the length of the homily that matters but whether it opens up new vistas, answers some questions or touches my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like an early writer said, I am one of those who feel slightly cheated by a shorter homily, only because to me, your homilies are something to look forward to as I know how meaningful they will be for me. Sometimes, it takes me awhile for the point to sink in, so a little longer is always best for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are priests that are more gifted at writing/presenting homilies than others. I find that priests that seem to go "on the fly" have longer homilies that seem to ramble and not get the point(s) across very well. I cannot imagine having to write a homily every week because I feel like it would take a very long time for me (I am a bit of a perfectionist & I would re-edit over and over again), so I try to not be critical of others, but if the homily is not tightly woven or is overly long I do not get as much out of it. I guess I can equate it to a family meal- there are some meals that I come home to and they feed you, but may be quick or uncompleted. Then there are well thought out meals with the protein, vegetable, and side(s) they do not have to be celebration meals like Thanksgiving or Christmas, but where more thought went into it and where things all come together wonderfully and they are fulfilling and you remember and think about it later on. When you are with family, celebrating day to day family traditions- it gives you a nice and loved feeling (like the songs and traditions of mass), I guess I would like the well thought out meal that goes along with the traditions.

    "Teacher"

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!