7/7/08

Monday Morning Offering - 2



O God, it's morning!

And once again, you're up before I am.
It never fails: I turn off the alarm clock
and there you are, sitting at the foot of my bed,
waiting, watching, wanting to be
the first thought of my day...

Please forgive me, Lord,
but most days I don't have a first thought
until I've had my first cup of coffee.
So, please, be patient with me,
as you always are,
and give me time to wake
to your presence...

And you know, Lord:
it's not only morning - it's MONDAY!
Another week stretches ahead of me
and oh, how I wish the weekend
were another day longer...

Where am I going this week, Lord?
Where will you lead me?
What path will you light for me?
Please, Lord, when I walk astray
or try to take the short-cut,
prod me, pull me, push me back
where I belong, where I should be heading,
even if that path seems the one
I'm least inclined to walk...

Most of all, walk with me, Lord!
Guide me when I'm confused and lost...

Shine a light on my road
when darkness shades my steps...

Teach me to ask you for directions
when I am lost and cannot find the way...

Whisper encouragement in my ears
when I don't want to take another step -
when I don't want to take the first step!

Give me your hand to hold
when the path frightens me...

Give me your shoulder to rest on
when my spirit flags and my pace slows...

Show me where to turn
when I need to turn -
and teach me not to look back...

Take me down the just path, Lord;
lead me on the road to truth;
guide me along the highway of honesty;
give me strength to walk with proper pride
in the ways of integrity...

Help me to see that the only path worth walking
is the one that leads me to you
and takes me to love and serve my neighbor.

It's morning, Lord!
I'm getting up now to have that cup of coffee...

Will you join me?

Amen.

(Some time ago I downloaded the graphic at the top of this post. Unfortunately, I have lost its URL and would be happy to credit the artist if anyone can lead me in the right direction. Thank you!)

-ConcordPastor

9 comments:

  1. Ah - what a lovely way to begin a Monday (and everyday!)
    Thanks for the beautiful reflection with words, music, and images. May your day be a blessed, peaceful one.
    - Karuna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cartoon! I envision prayer to be a little like that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karuna: thanks for your response! My hope is to write a weekly "Monday Morning Offering."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this entry 1st thing when I woke up. It is a great way to set the tone for a Monday am. I love the music and scenes too. Thanks. hope your Monday is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Concord Pastor,
    Your Monday morning reflections are extraordinary. You are a generous and gifted writer and pray-er. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to seeing these on a regular basis.
    Cookie

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the graphic and the prayer says SOOO much that I needed to hear this Monday. All that and a little Cat Stevens, Morning Has Broken,(which jolted me back into my younger days!!!) made this post especially pertinent to me! Thanks CP!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I read and listened to this on Tuesday morning and it was equally as wonderful. My response, though, was tears which I interpret to be tears of joy or didn't St. Ignatius say, tears of consolation?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was beautiful and a wonderful way to start any morning. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just had a chance to view the video and listen to "Morning Has Broken." Absolutely lovely! Any chance we could sing in church?

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!