8/14/08

Edwige - revisited!


The dining room at Edwige

I returned last night to Edwige, the scene of a great dinner last summer. How great was last summer's dinner? Great enough that I ordered the same entree - couldn't pass it up! I suppose if a Brazilian seafood moqueca was something you find on many menus, I might have opted for another dish. But Edwige is the only place I've seen this dish (actually, a piping hot cast iron pan) offered and so I tried it again. And I'm glad I did. It was just as wonderful as last summer and if you want to know more about that, check the first link in this post.

The bread basket this summer at Ediwge includes cubes of fresh foccacia and several large bread chips, ready for a dipping oil served from a bottle left on the table - good move!

The menu had a number of appealing items and I did order a different starter this August. In the seafood theme I selected a native seafood cake which arrived with two delicious cakes of medium size. The whole plate might have passed as an entree in some estabishments! Sitting on a bed of greens the fish cakes were dressed with a creole mustard which might have benefitted from a little more kick: the words creole and mustard prepared my tastebuds for more spice than the dressing offered. A large helping of a roasted corn relish filled out the plate adding color and flavor.

Dessert was tres leches, a dense, moist cake made with - three milks: evaporated milk, condensed milk and whole milk or heavy cream. The result is a cake that soaks up the milks without becoming mushy. This version was surrounded by a light caramel sauce dotted by bits of pecan. The cake was topped with whipped cream. The whole effort is sweet, but the sweetness came more from the sauce than the cake itself. The portion could have served two and was larger than needed after the appetizer and entree I'd ordered. Yes, I finished it!

Another great night at Edwige!

(Edwige also serves breakfast - but do you have any idea what time you have to get up on vacation to go out for breakfast?)


-ConcordPastor

2 comments:

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!