12/30/08

A prayer as the new year approaches...



As we approach the end of the calendar year,
these words might help us walk gracefully into 2009...

Good Lord,
it is the evening of the year...

Only a few days left in this old year
which seemed so new,
not-so-long ago...

Where has the old year gone, Lord?
How did it go?
And how did I go with you, Lord,
in these past twelve months?

I remember the times
we walked and talked as one,
you and I...

And I remember the times
when I forgot, somehow,
that you were right by my side...

I remember the times when you took delight
in my words and my work,
and I remember the times I ignored and forgot you
while still
you loved and forgave me...

Nothing I have done, Lord,
merits all you have given me:
your love is grace and pure gift...

In return I offer so little
and I have so little to offer...

But there comes a new year, Lord,
and with it my zealous resolve
to become more worthy of, more open to
all you so freely give me...

In this new year, Lord,
make strong my desire to be faithful,
make deep my trust in your presence
and make sure my hope in your promise -
for apart from your help
I know I will fail...

Lord, you offer me only
what is true and pure,
good and just,
strong and graced...

In this new year, help me to recognize
what is false, cheap and sham...

Help me to settle for nothing less
than what comes from your heart and hand...

Nourish me, Lord:
give me a hunger for what is genuine,
a thirst for what is holy,
a wisdom for what is true...

It is the evening of the old year, Lord...

Prepare my mind and my heart
for the gift of your grace
at the dawn of a new year...

Amen.

-ConcordPastor

4 comments:

  1. Your prayer fits me too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert- before I even got to the combox, I was thinking, "all I can say after that is, Amen."
    You were thinking that too, and I'm so glad you said it- thank you. And thank you, ConcordPastor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gave us this prayer last year and I have said it everyday since. Thank you for the many blessings you shower upon us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Anonymous" - what a joy for a blogging pastor to know that this prayer has stayed with you through the year. And you offer a great insight- every day begins a new year in God's grace!

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!