12/7/08

More Virgin Mary, and less Virgin Islands


Image by PamBlissCards

Note: I'm JUST the messenger here!

H/T to The Anchoress via Between the 'Burgh and the City

On NPR's All Things Considered, Jesuit author Fr. James Martin said...
It's the middle of the day, and I'm opening my Christmas cards. And what do I see when I tear open the envelope? Not Baby Jesus in his manger. Not the Virgin Mary. Not even the Wise Men. No, chances are the card will be a photo of a family on some beach in the Caribbean. Or a picture of somebody's house. Or someone's dog wearing reindeer horns...

Look, I love family photos during the holidays. Plus, I actually read those annual holiday letters, all of which start with "What a busy year it's been!" Seeing photos of my friends and their families and even enjoying a few sunny beach scenes when it's cold and dark outside is a highlight of December.

But I enjoy the photos more when they're inside the card, not the card itself. Because more and more, even devout Christians have been replacing Jesus, Mary and Joseph with themselves. Doesn't it strike you as weird to set aside the Holy Family in favor of your family? Does a photo of Cabo San Lucas trump the story told by the original San Lucas? Is Christmas really about you?
...
(read the whole transcript)

Readers: Whaddayathink?

-ConcordPastor

6 comments:

  1. Well the picture posted here is pretty silly as a Christmas card. However,In general,I don't mind the photo cards. It's nice to see how families have changed, grew...etc, especially if they're not living nearby. Smiling faces in a photo is still a way of wishing a Merry Christmas. I disagree that the sender is saying that it's all "about them" and that the Holy Family is set aside for their family. Although I personally prefer and send a religious Christmas card, the joy of Christmas can be spread in other ways as well.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love religious Christmas cards and that is what I send each year stamped with the latest issue Madonna stamp. I must say that the vast majority of cards that I receive are not religious. I don't mind the family photo cards, but I agree with Fr. Jim Martin that I would prefer the photos to be inside. Many cards are neither religious nor family photo, but rather winter scenes, Santa Claus, candles, snowman, etc. I suppose that is ok. The most hilarious card I ever saw was one sent to my parents many years ago by business acquaintances in Texas. It said "From our homes to yours." You opened it and inside were pictured three gigantic homes each in a different Texas city! Well, they say people do things in a big way in Texas and these people sure did!!! Each year I seem to receive fewer cards, so I guess I am grateful for the ones I do receive even though they may not be my preferred religious cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. Although I do send some non-religious cards to close friends who are not religious. (They still get the Madonna stamp though.) The majority of the cards we send are religious in imagery (Holy Family, icons, angels, Wise Men, etc) if not also in the pre-printed greeting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the message you convey with this post, Concord Pastor. The religious cards can be so beautiful that I wouldn't think of selecting another kind. In sending them, it's my little way of remembering what Christmas is really all about. You can send winter scenes and family photos any time;we celebrate the birthday of Jesus just once a year.

    Novo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard for me - I have a beautiful family that I feel so blessed to have in my life and try to select a picture that actually shows us doing something together, or a special drawing by one of the kids. AND I have friends who aren't Christian and the thought of printing Christmas cards and Holiday cards and figuring out what to send to whom is overwhelming. AND I have friends who wish they had a family and don't... What to do? I've decided to send a card that makes me happy inside, hoping that sharing my joy and wishes of peace and love is the best thing I can do right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a fan of photo or other printed cards which require no signature...when I send a card I try to make it personal; I value the realtionship even if we cannot see one another often.

    I never send a card out of a sense of obligation. We always send a religious card, which I choose as much for it's message as it's image. We include a letter (with some pictures) in the card for those we do not see often because of distance or circumstance.

    I look forward to receiving cards from friends, family, and former co-workers. I especially enjoy those with letters that offer updates on friends and family that we are not able to visit with often.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!