1/16/09

Getting ready for this Sunday's prayer



This is one of those rare weekends in the course of the year when I have no preaching responsibility. I'm visiting my sister and her family in Colorado and will be in the pews this weekend, praying from the other side of the table.

I hope you'll take some time before going to Mass this weekend to read and pray over the scriptures you'll hear - just what I'll be doing.

The texts, some background material on them and helps for children will all be found at this earlier post.

The gospel passage for this Sunday includes the call of several of the apostles. The text puts me in mind of this beautiful hymn, The Servant Song by Richard Gillard...


Will you let me be your servant,
let me be as Christ to you?
Pray that I may have the grace
to let you be my servant too.

We are pilgrims on a journey,
we are trav'llers on the road.
We are here to help each other
walk the mile and bear the load.

I will hold the Christ light for you
in the night-time of your fear.
I will hold my hand out to you,
speak the peace you long to hear.

I will weep when you are weeping.
When you laugh, I'll laugh with you.
I will share your joy and sorrow
till we've seen this journey through.

(Fifth verse is not on the audio)
When we sing to God in heaven,
we shall find such harmony,
borne of all we've known together
of Christ's love and agony.

-ConcordPastor

2 comments:

  1. I too love this song, but the first line is new to me. It was originally 'Brother let me be your servant...' and in the UK we now sing 'Brother, sister, let me serve you...'. I once memorably heard it sung during the signing of the registers at a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope we are singing the Servant Song this weekend at HFP. It is a wonderful song. I just sang along with this version ! Now I am ready for this -3 degree day !!

    Thanks CP
    PS Enjoy the rest of the vac.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!