1/28/09

Unam, sanctam, catholicam, apostolicam



I think back to a Sunday in 2002, at the height of the revelations of clergy sexual abuse in the Archdiocese of Boston. Making announcements at the end of Mass, I commented on a public relations debacle from the previous week and said, "There should be a full time employee in chancery whose only job is to stand up at appropriate moments and call out at the top of his lungs, "No - don't say that! No - don't do that!"

I've thought of this during the past week when reading the reports of the pope's lifting the excommunications of the four bishops of the Society of St. Pius X (SSPX) and the inane, insulting comments made by one of them, Richard Williamson. These bishops were ordained "validly but illicitly" by the now deceased schismatic Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre who, with his followers, refused to accept many of the teachings of Vatican Council II.

Previous efforts to restore unity between Rome and the SSPX have failed but the cause was advanced with Benedict's Summorum Pontificum, the decree that restored permission to celebrate the so-called Tridentine Rite of the Mass. The lifting of the excommunication of these bishops still left them without faculties (permission) to celebrate the sacraments - although they continued to do so. The lifting of the excommunications was intended to be a first step towards dialogue between the SSPX and Rome.

Even as the news of the lifting of the excommunications broke, a video of one of the four bishops, Richard Williamson, presented him in an interview in which he denied the reality of the Shoah, the genocide of Jews under Hitler.

Should there be a cardinal in the Vatican whose only job is to stand up at appropriate moments and call out at the top of his lungs, "No - don't say that! No - don't do that!"?

(And yes, I'm sure there are many times when my own ministry would benefit from such a watchdog.)

Those who have studied canon law will have some sense of what it means that these four bishops were ordained "validly but illicitly" but the subtlety will be lost on most, including even earnest reporters trying to get this story out. Those who are both familiar with the history of the SSPX and who have a notion about the critical importance of every pope's ministry as a sign and achiever of unity in the Church will have some insight into why Benedict is intent on reconciling with this recalcitrant, foot-dragging society of clergy and laity who refuse to accept the teachings of a major Council of the Church. But folks at large (believers and non-believers, Catholic and not) are largely without such sophistication and bear no particular responsibility for expertise in these areas.

It is the Church's responsibility to speak and act in such fashion as to preserve the unity of those already within the fold and to avoid in every way giving scandal to its own people and to others even and especially when speaking and acting for the sake of reconciliation.

What many are left with at this point is the notion that the pope lifted a penalty on a bishop whose views on the Shoah would be laughable were they not so insensititive, obtuse and insulting to Jews, Christians and all who suffer the wound of this hellish nightmare inflicted on God's own people, Israel.

That the media and consumers of news are left to read this as Vatican approval or tolerance of Williamson's intolerable views is not their fault. We are responsible on every level not only for what we say and do but also for how what we say and do appears to others.

This has never been more true than in this age of instant communication and the present Church administration, more media and techno-savvy than any before it, must be held accountable.

In the combox of one my earlier posts on this topic, a reader here wrote that she finds herself less and less compelled to identify as a member of the universal Church and more inclined to identify only with the local parish community. This is the heart of the crisis the Church faces and it's a crisis of ecclesiology. The universality of the Catholic Church is one of its four distinguishing marks (one, holy, catholic apostolic) and any blurring of that mark strikes at the heart of who we are as the Body of Christ. The Anglican commuion, around other issues, teeters on the brink of the break up of its communio - that faith and life which binds Anglicans together around the globe. No ecclesial entity can afford or absorb such a blow to its body.

Such is the threat to Christian unity. One must also consider soberly the potential damage to Jewish-Christian relations so carefully and gracefully built up over the last half-century.

That we Catholics have sufficient trust in the Holy Spirit to understand ourselves as the "one, holy, catholic and apostolic" Church is a sign of our strength and confidence. But such bold faith places the Church ever in the public eye and precisely for the sake, cause and hope of unity, it's incumbent upon us to take the greatest care in our words and deeds lest any (even unintentional) scandal be given.

The Catholic Church always has the world's attention and immense, sensitive responsibility attends such a grace, blessing and opportunity.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a lesson we Catholics can be slow to learn.

(Check out Rocco's place for a post on rabbis severing ties with the Vatican over l'affaire Williamson, including a link to the pope's comments earlier today on the Shoah.)

-ConcordPastor

13 comments:

  1. First, a confession: I have not been keeping up with the news (ANY and ALL of the news). But, I am trying, starting with your blog, to get "connected" with everything... or, at least with some things...


    and, well, I'm not a Cardinal, but I'll take that job...
    I think it's a good idea, ConcordPastor, (and you're right, it's a good idea for ALL OF US to have something like that in our own lives).

    ReplyDelete
  2. CP,
    I can't resist one jocular comment - namely, you refer to a functionary shouting at the top of HIS lungs, "Don't do that." Sometimes I think the need to do this has something to do with a male-dominated Church! I do realize we had a female PR functionary in the Chancery back in 2002, but I don't know whether or not she had the courage to yell at her male bosses. Who might have had more common sense if they were female! (A very sexist remark)
    Anyway, I am getting more educated by this whole crisis - I didn't realize there was sedevacantism actually existing today, if not in the Fraternity of St.Pius X.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This is the heart of the crisis the Church faces and it's a crisis of ecclesiology. The universality of the Catholic Church is one of its four distinguishing marks (one, holy, catholic apostolic) and any blurring of that mark strikes at the heart of who we are as the Body of Christ."

    It is a crisis. Who is to blame? Certainly not the laity. Certainly not those who are informed and want to speak but are prohibited...both ordained and laity. What can the average Catholic do when the Vatican (or even our local bishop) is silent on an important issue? That's why I'm happy building up the Body of Christ by doing the Lord's work in my own faith community. It's in my parish that I can "...rejoice in the work the Lord accomplishes through (me)".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Concord Pastor, for this excellent post. I actually seem to be growing numb to the Vatican's pronouncements. It is becoming increasingly more difficult for me to respect those who make these unfortunate decisions. Why do you think this pope thinks it necessary to bring this particular group back into the fold? Has their brand of Catholicism been gaining strength in numbers of adherents, thus, potentially undermining the authority of the pope. Or does this pope actually have some sympathy with their positions? In any case, I agree that someone needs to vet the actions and words of the pope before he does any more harm. He has incurred the wrath of Muslims and Jews and their supporters in a relatively short space of time. Whose next?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It gets worse!
    This just in from NCR...

    http://ncronline3.org/drupal/?q=node/3191

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne,

    I followed the link you provided, and I find it hard to believe that there is so much more revisionist history being believed then I had ever imagined. The Pope must have had just as bad intelligence about the views of at least some SSPX members as GW Bush had about those WMDs! And I never did think GW Bush was very bright. I have never been quite happy with Benedict XVI, but I used to think he was brighter than I now think he is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anne,

    My comment keeps disappearing, but I'll try again. I followed the link, and was very disturbed by the revisionist history believed by the interviewee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maeve: your comments don't disappear but they do, like all comments, need to wait for moderation.

    With regards to whether or not Benedict XVI is "bright" or not: he is fluent in many languages; he is a theologian of the first degree (whether or not you agree with his theology is another question but be assured that he could dance theological jigs around all of us put together).

    I would be surprised to find out that the pope was surprised to find out that Williamson holds at least some of the views he does. The lifting of the excommunication was not based on questions about the Shoah. I'm not saying that the move was well timed - it wasn't, in my opinion - but I suspect there's not much about the SSPX bishops that the Vatican doesn't know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. CP,

    I know about waiting for moderation - but the comments were gone already when I looked to preview. My fault, no doubt.

    There are many kinds of intelligence. I do believe in Benedict XVI's academic intelligence and theological information, but not in his analytical intelligence re consequences of decisions. This is different from my feelings about Mr. Bush, who I simply think is a little less than average in all deimensions of intelligence.
    I'm certainly not claiming to be a theologian, or even a good Catholic.
    Anyway, thank you for your patience in most situations. It is often sorely tried, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. CP,
    I deleted my duplicate comment; I saw the little trash cans under my comments and thought that must mean I was supposed to do so.
    I note my typo for "dimensions" above. I may not be a good Catholic; however, I AM a good speller, but a horrible typist! I am now asking myself if I am arrogant to write to this blog if I am not sure I am a good Catholic. I do indeed feel those who are not Catholics are welcome here, but does someone who is Catholic but not sure of being a good one serve any constructive purpose? (I have followed the link to Sandro Magister, and my impression is that the greatest aim of the Pope in lifting the excommunication was to promote the "One" part of "One, Holy, and Apostolic". Would you agree?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maeve: all people of good will who are respectful of others are welcome here and your comments have not transgressed those lines. (And as you know, readers who are willing to take on a screen name are especially welcome in the sea of anonymity!)

    While I don't think the pope was picking among the four marks of the Church, there certainly is a push here for unity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Took the weekend off to rest and work on my (new) book manuscript which is, ironically, about the Jewish roots of Christian worship.

    Just now reading through your posts and especially ones about the SSPX PR nightmare. Would it come as any surprise that within the RCC my latest book about church communications has had a warm reception by laity and not so much by clergy.

    I've been told clergy are "upset" by my analysis about how church structure and culture get in the way of open, clear, timely, and faith-based communications.

    And still, this is my Church.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!