3/1/09

Daily Prayer in Lent - First Sunday


Word for the Season
Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart...
Joel 2:12









Word for the Day

The Spirit drove Jesus out into the desert,
and he remained in the desert for forty days,
tempted by Satan.
He was among wild beasts,
and the angels ministered to him.
(See today's readings for Mark 1:12-15)

Reflection
St. Bonaventure said:
After the Lord's long fast in the desert,
when the angels came to minister to him,
they went first to the Blessed Mother
to see what she had on her stove,
and got the soup she had prepared
and transported it to Jesus,
who relished it the more
because his mother had prepared it.
Of course.

Prayer
I return to you today, Lord,
wanting to offer you a soup bowl full
of what you most desire from my heart,
even though on many days I'm convinced
that I have nothing to offer,
nothing you would want...
You loved your Mother's soup, Lord,
because it was hers
and you love what my heart offers
simply because it is mine.
Even if I come to you with an empty bowl,
you would relish filling my emptiness
with the love you have for me...
Here's my heart's bowl, Lord:
accept what I offer as my own, for you,
and fill my emptiness in return...
I trust you, Lord,
and pray you will trust me
to return to you this Lent, day by day,
with my whole heart...
Amen. 2009LentPostCollection

Image: Gwen Meharg

-ConcordPastor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!