2/27/09

Daily Prayer in Lent -Ash Friday


Word for the Season
Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart...
Joel 2:12









Word for the Day

My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit;
a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.
(See today's readings for Psalm 51)

Reflection
The truth is
I have sins I'm not sure I'm sorry for...
I know I've done things against God's law
and outside the bounds of his love,
things I'm not proud of
but things I thought I needed to do,
had to do - and so I did them.
Is it my pride that keeps me
from facing what I've done,
from naming my sin and praying for pardon?

Prayer
I return to you today, Lord,
with a heart burdened with things I've done
that I find hard to face,
with choices I made
that I wish I'd never had to make...
I've sinned in ways I never thought I'd sin
and so I find it hard to admit
to things I thought I'd never do...
But this is a piece of my heart I must bring to you
if I want to return to you with my whole heart...
Give me a contrite spirit, Lord...
Help me to name my sins and know your mercy...
A heart contrite and humbled, Lord,
you will never turn away...
I trust you, Lord,
and pray you will trust me
to return to you this Lent, day by day,
with my whole heart...
Amen. 2009LentPostCollection

Image: Gwen Meharg

-ConcordPastor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!