2/27/09

If We Only Have Love...



If the name Jacques Brel means something to you, then you might also know the name of Eric Blau who, with Mort Shuman, translated Brel's music from French into English and produced the musical review, Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well and Living in Paris.

Eric Blau died this week at 87, leaving his wife, Elly Stone, who (along with Shuman) was one of the quartet in the first recording of the American production of Brel's music. Blau's passing brings a flood of memories of Brel's music.

I've enjoyed this cabaret performance some 14 times over the years and have loved it every time. Today's audiences may find Brel's music a bit dated but as someone who lived through the '60's and 70's, this French troubadour's songs are pure gold. I remember playing and singing Brel's If We Only Have Love (Quand On a Que L’amour) back in the day when I teamed up musically with a man who's still a dear friend. We sang this song many times, often at Joe's dad's request in a chalet in Vermont, in a place called Alpenwald. Those were the days, my friend...

Here's the English version of Brel's showstopper, from the original cast album: If We Only Have Love

And here's Brel's solo of the same in French and with the original lyrics...



-ConcordPastor

6 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorites. I have only seen it 2-3 times but I love the memory of it. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too loved this show! I must have played the record album until it was worn out. I'm a Judy Collins fan and she recorded a couple of the songs from Jacques Brel that she also sang in concerts. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, CP, are a man of many talents! Would love to have you and Joe perform sometime in Concord! I have enjoyed many performances of Jacques Brel (not 14 though!) the last of which was a few years ago done by The Concord Players.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curiously I have never seen Jacques Brel, but fell in love with this song in a recording done by Johnny Mathis.
    Now this will make CP cringe, but back in the day when I got married (1974) and there were no guidelines on liturgical music, this was one of the songs at our Catholic wedding! To this day it remains one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed... those were the days... lots of wonderful energy and enthusiasm ....and I laugh to think that I saw the show so many times as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacques Brel's French version was moving. The French language is so beautiful.

    I also always loved "Those Were the Days, My Friend."

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!