2/18/09

Word for the Weekend - February 22

This coming weekend is the Seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time, the last Ordinary Time Sunday before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. You'll find this weekend's scriptures and background material on them here and help for children preparing to hear the Word right here.

The first scripture from Isaiah could serve as a call to Lenten prayer and penance. The Pauline text is not an easy one to understand, but emphasizes the power of the promises of God made manifest in Jesus. The gospel (Mark) is the story of the paralyzed man who was let down through the roof of the place where Jesus was preaching that he might be healed. A call to God's mercy, the gift of the Spirit in our hearts and the healing power of Jesus: all rich themes as we find ourselves on the eve of Lent!

-ConcordPastor

Image by Maria Zamora

3 comments:

  1. Selfish I know...but OH how I pray I could be healed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there's anything selfish about wanting to be healed, Anna - nothing at all.

    But keep in mind that the physical healing Jesus did was always meant to draw people's attention to the spiritual healing that he offers everyone - without exception. That's the case in the gospel today, and it's backed up by the text from Isaiah.

    I'll pray for your healing - in whatever way or ways your may need it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that struggle with wanting to be healed, and confusing it with that there would be no more struggle, that I would forget and not be bothered by what needed healing. The trap I fell into was not trusting God's loving mercy... it was I who had prevented the healing, not God. Trusting that I was loved that much was a HUGE leap of faith, but once taken I can now draw off of that experience and find I do not stay stuck quite so long.

    I too will pray for your healing. Thanks for sharing, it is a great joy to see how far I have come...I trust one day you will look back and be pleased too!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!