3/27/09

Daily Prayer in Lent - Friday, Week Four


Word for the Season
Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart...
Joel 2:12











Word for the Day
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted;
and those who are crushed in spirit he saves.
Many are the troubles of the just,
but out of them all the LORD delivers them.
(see today's readings for )

Reflection
God's time is often different
from our time...

Our time tends to be American
with expectations of delivery of services
upon demand...

Our technology prompts us to believe
that all things happen, or should happen,
instantaneously...

But God's time is not our time
and God takes his time, often,
much to our disappointment...

But God is close to the broken hearted
and does deliver us from our troubles,
all in his time...

Prayer
I return to you today, Lord,
with an impatient heart...

I come before you with a heart accustomed
to fast food, fast lanes, fast answers
and Guaranteed Overnight Delivery -
G.O.D.

Slow me down, Lord,
and teach me to live with my questions,
with my problems, my worries
and my anxiety...

Slow me down, Lord,
and remind me that, indeed,
you are with me,
you are close to my broken heart
and you will deliver me -
all in your time...

Give me patience, Lord,
to discover the ways
you are healing my heart
and to see the people you have sent me
to help with the healing...

Give me patience, Lord,
to understand the ways
you are close to my broken heart
and open my eyes to see those around me
whose gentle touch
is helping to mend my heart,
day by day...

Although things move slowly, Lord,
let me see the simple ways
you are delivering me from my troubles
and leading me to a place of peace...

I trust you, Lord,
and pray you will trust me
to return to you this Lent, day by day,
with my whole heart...
Amen. 2009LentPostCollection

Image: Gwen Meharg

-ConcordPastor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!