3/6/09

Daily Prayer in Lent - Friday, Week One


Word for the Season
Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart...
Joel 2:12










Word for the Day

You say, "The LORD's way is not fair!"
Hear now, house of Israel:
Is it my way that is unfair, or rather, are not your ways unfair?
(see today's readings for Ezekiel 18)

Reflection
When things don't go my way,
I often jump to the conclusion
that it's God's fault, that God isn't being fair,
that God hasn't listened to my prayers,
that God is uncaring or unjust...
Such response reveals a lot
about my image of who God is
and my notions about how God should act...
But, is it God's way that's unfair
or is it something about my own way that's wanting?

Prayer
Of all the folks I might blame, O God,
you're at the top of the ladder
and it's easy for my heart
to pin my problems and disappointments
on you...

Sometimes my problems are of my own making
and other times I suffer the faults of others
but I know that every good gift in my life
comes from your hand
and that you never wish or visit hurt or harm upon me...

You allow the good to suffer
and I don't know why
but I know that suffering
is never a sign of your absence or indifference...

Your son Jesus, innocent and without sin,
gave himself into our hands and was nailed to a cross:
you allowed your only beloved Son to suffer and die
for me and for all those like me
who do not deserve such love, such mercy...

I return to you, O God,
with a heart that sometimes blames you
for my problems...
Teach my heart to praise you
for your faithful presence
and help me to see how you are with me
in every difficult moment...

I trust you, Lord,
and pray you will trust me
to return to you this Lent, day by day,
with my whole heart...
Amen. 2009LentPostCollection

Image: Gwen Meharg

-ConcordPastor

1 comment:

  1. thank you- this brought me comfort and thought...

    even in my darkest and "ugly" moments, I trust that God is here with me and will never leave me, no matter what... I NEED to trust in that...

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!