3/13/09

Daily Prayer in Lent - Friday, Week Two


Word for the Season
Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart...
Joel 2:12









Word for the Day

The stone that the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone;
by the Lord has this been done,
and it is wonderful in our eyes...
(see today's readings for Matthew 21)

Reflection
No life is without experiences
of acceptance and rejection
and the joy and pain that accompanies them.
Sometimes it might seem
that even God has rejected me:
Jesus himself cried out in abandonment
while suffering on the Cross...
But God's accepting, forgiving embrace
is always open, ready to receive me
into his arms...

Prayer
I return to you today, Lord,
with a heart sometimes uncertain of its own purpose...
There are times when I don't know what to do,
when I don't know what you want me to do,
when I'm unsure why you made me...

Help my heart to trust
in your plan for me,
in the harvest my heart might yield for you,
in your desire for my heart to touch other lives...

Especially when I am rejected by others, Lord,
show me your open arms
and the place you have saved for me in your embrace...

Help my heart to know what you ask of me
and give me the wisdom and courage
to live my life in service of your call...

I trust you, Lord,
and pray you will trust me
to return to you this Lent, day by day,
with my whole heart...
Amen. 2009LentPostCollection

Image: Gwen Meharg

-ConcordPastor

1 comment:

  1. ...I am experiencing rejection in the house where I live, with a couple of housemates...
    thank you for your words and helping me to see where I am accepted...

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!