3/21/09

Daily Prayer in Lent - Saturday, Week Three


Word for the Season
Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart...
Joel 2:12










Word for the Day

Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
in the greatness of your compassion wipe out my offense.
Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
and of my sin cleanse me.
(see today's readings for Psalm 51 )

Reflection
Ours is a God of love and mercy
who is always ready to forgive;
we are sinners
and God invites us to trust in his mercy...

Time and time again we broke God's covenant,
but we are never abandoned...

Instead, through Jesus, God binds himself
even more closely to the human family
by a bond that can never be broken...

Now is the time to turn back to God and be renewed
a time of grace and reconciliation...
(Based on Eucharistic Prayer for Reconciliation I)

Prayer
I return to you today, Lord,
with a heart sometimes burdened
by the sins of my past...

Remind me, Lord, that before I sin,
before I even think of sinning,
you stand ready to forgive me,
so deep is your desire for unity
with your sons and daughters...

As far as the east is from the west,
so far do you put my sins away from me:*
in your goodness, let me know and trust
that you have forgiven and forgotten my sins...

Wipe my sins from my heart, Lord:
the ones I seem unable to forget
and the sinful ways I find hard to leave behind...

Thoroughly wash me of my guilt, Lord:
let no memories haunt and keep me
a prisoner to my own past...

Wash away my guilt and cleanse my heart
of any trace of my past wrongs:
with a heart reconciled and renewed
refresh me with your grace,
that I might walk again
the path you have set out for me...

In your great compassion, Lord,
forgive my sins and free me
for the love you stand ready to offer me each day...

I trust you, Lord,
and pray you will trust me
to return to you this Lent, day by day,
with my whole heart...
Amen. 2009LentPostCollection

*Psalm 103

Image: Gwen Meharg

-ConcordPastor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!