4/3/09

Daily Prayer in Lent - Friday, Week Five


Word for the Season
Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart...
Joel 2:12










Word for the Day

I love you, O Lord, my strength,
O Lord, my rock, my fortress, my deliverer.
My God, my rock of refuge,
my shield, the horn of my salvation, my stronghold!
Praised be the Lord, I exclaim,
and I am safe from my enemies.
The breakers of death surged round about me,
the destroying floods overwhelmed me;
The cords of the nether world enmeshed me,
the snares of death overtook me.
In my distress I called upon the LORD
and cried out to my God;
From his temple he heard my voice,
and my cry to him reached his ears.
(see today's readings for Psalm 18)

Reflection
This beautiful psalm of confidence
and deep trust in God
is one we all need to pray some times,
one which many of us need to pray often...

Sometimes we find ourselves on the edge,
drowning, knotted in difficulties,
abandoned...

It's a good thing to have in heart
a short litany of names for God our help, like:
O God, you are my rock, my strength,
my hope, my refuge, my shield!
A litany to pray over and over again,
until the words themselves
become for us what they say...

Prayer
I return to you today, Lord,
with a heart that needs help, your help...

I need you to be my refuge when I'm afraid,
a safe harbor on my journey,
a rock on which to climb above the flood,
a life-line when I am lost,
my hope when I have none left...

Help me to know you by your saving names
and write them on my heart and in my mind
that I may never forget them...

Keep your name upon my lips
that in everything, in every sorrow and joy,
I might seek your strength and speak our praise...

Teach me to call upon you always, Lord,
especially in my distress,
and help me to trust that from your temple
you hear and answer my cries...

I love you, O Lord, my strength,
my rock, my fortress, my deliverer,
my rock of refuge, my shield
and the strong hold of my life!

I trust you, Lord,
and pray you will trust me
to return to you this Lent, day by day,
with my whole heart...
Amen. 2009LentPostCollection

Image: Gwen Meharg

-ConcordPastor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!