4/7/09

Daily Prayer in Lent - Tuesday of Holy Week


Word for the Season
Even now, says the LORD,
return to me with your whole heart...
Joel 2:12











Word for the Day
For you are my hope, O Lord;
my trust, O God, from my youth.
On you I depend from birth;
from my mother's womb you are my strength.
(see today's readings for Psalm 71)

Reflection
Hope, trust and strength:
certainly we all seek these
and know our need for them every day...

These are gifts that ground us in our lives
and give us courage to move ahead,
day by day...

But such gifts seem in short supply these days:
our hope is in the One we trust to be our strength...

Prayer
I return to you today, Lord,
with a heart in a need of gifts
that only you can give...

My heart is in need of hope
and I open it before you,
asking you to fill my very soul
with hope that gives me courage
to live the balance of this day
and face tomorrow...

My heart is in need of trust
and I open it before you,
asking you to help me trust
that you are with me,
before, behind and beside me,
and that you will never leave me alone...

My heart is in need of strength, Lord,
for I am weak and cannot rise or stand...
I open my heart before you,
asking for the strength of your love
and the power of your grace,
to fill my heart until it beats with yours,
one with you,
you with me...

When you lost hope, Lord,
you cried out to the One who sent you,
not knowing if your cry would be heard...

When you did not know whom to trust,
you abandoned yourself into the hands
of the One you feared had abandoned you...

When you were to weak to cry out
you fell into the strong arms
of the One who loved you like a mother,
even before you were born...

Help me to hope in you, Lord...
Help me to trust in your mercy...
Help me to find my strength in your love...

I trust you, Lord,
and pray you will trust me
to return to you this Lent, day by day,
with my whole heart...
Amen. 2009LentPostCollection

Image: Gwen Meharg


-ConcordPastor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!