4/16/09

A day at a time...


Image: BHRSB

I enjoyed a wonderful dinner last night in the home of a family in my parish. Just delightful in every way! After the children went to bed, the mom and dad and I chatted some about raising children in these days, in the culture that's ours. I believe these two parents are doing a great job but I certainly don't envy them the hard work this entails.

Back home at the end of the evening, I crashed in my recliner and mused a bit on something that crosses my mind more and more: there are some things in life, some experiences that will never be mine - except to enjoy them as I meet them in the lives of others: like having and raising children. No, I'm not pining at this age to be a parent! I'm just the coming to terms with some realities.

An Easter letter from an ordination classmate included this, "I realize that at my age my yesterdays outnumber my tomorrows..." That's a sobering thought and it puts just about everything in a clear perspective.

So, sitting in my recliner last night I was very aware of my becoming the older person I am and will be for the rest of my life. It was something like trying on a new coat and discovering that it fits, and fits rather well... Don't hear that as a statement of defeat, much less a sign of anything being wrong or an omen of bad news: it isn't! It's just an awareness of my age and the changes that growing older inevitably occasions.

I'm rather at peace with this and I find peace in it...

-ConcordPastor

8 comments:

  1. this post touched my heart...
    brought tears to my eyes...

    it also brought me peace to hear that you are feeling peace...

    (and you are very young at heart... you are the only person I know of who has the very unique, very special ability to relate to essentially everyone- of ALL ages)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I understand how you feel. At a certain age I realize that I may have 25+ good years left and that seems not enough. I will never be a parent either but do enjoy lots of other people's kids especially my beloved nieces and nephews. Thanks for sharing you very personal thoughts and musings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first glance is that Rudy Giuliani
    next to last on the right? We are all as young as we think. Read Ellen Langer Just say no to Aging. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AUSTIN!

    AD MULTOS ANNOS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Austin,

    I just posted a birthday greeting on your Facebook page. I'm glad you have had a joyful and peaceful birthday.

    I find that the best thing about growing old is having old friends!

    I'll be 57 in May so I am musing about some of the same things you are. Thanks for your reflections and your ministry!

    In friendship,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post - I appreciate your candor as you reflect.

    And Happy Birthday!

    How nice to see Jane here - what a lovely and interconnected world this all is. Ahh... grace.

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  7. Age is only a number! It doesn't mean much!

    I hope you carry on the good work the Lord has continued to do in you.

    I love the image on this post!

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!