4/15/09

From the Church on Fifth Avenue


Photo: Reuters

Rocco has the full text of the homily given by Archbishop Timothy Dolan today at the Mass at which he was installed as the Archbishop of New York. If his homily at Vespers last night led you to think that this man is a great preacher, then today's offering will confirm you in your observation.

The only problem in linking you to this text is that if I borrow some of it for my own preaching you'll know just where it came from!

From the homily:
For three weeks in July, 1992, I was on pilgrimage in Israel. I had a wonderful Franciscan guide who made sure I saw all the sacred places in the Holy Land. The day before I departed, he asked, “Is there anything left you want to see?”

“Yes,” I replied, “I would like to walk the road to Emmaus.”

“That we cannot do,” he told me, “You see, no one really knows where that village of Emmaus actually was, so there is no more road to Emmaus.”

Sensing my disappointment, he remarked, “Maybe that’s part of God’s providence, because we can now make every journey we undertake a walk down the Road to Emmaus.”

My new friends of this great archdiocese, would you join your new pastor on an “adventure in fidelity,” as we turn the Staten Island Expressway, Fifth Avenue, Madison Avenue, Broadway, the FDR, the Major Deegan, and the New York State Thruway into the Road to Emmaus, as we witness a real “miracle on 34th street” and turn that into the road to Emmaus?

For, dare to believe, that:
From Staten Island to Sullivan County
From the Bowery, to the Bronx, to Newburgh,
From White Plains to Poughkeepsie…

He is walking right alongside us...

(for the complete text)

-ConcordPastor

1 comment:

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!