4/5/09

Palm Sunday Homily - April 6


Detail from Crucifix by Cimabue

Palm Sunday Homily

Although it's at the very heart of our faith,
the story of the suffering and death of Jesus
is recounted in its entirety only twice a year,
and then in the same week,
on Palm Sunday and Good Friday.


Though we hear this story infrequently,
its images, scenes and characters are vivid in our imagination.
Particular words and phrases
have embedded themselves in our memory and in our hearts,
evoking repentance and prayer...

Don't these words echo in a place deep in your soul?

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak...
They promised him money, 30 pieces of silver…
One of you will betray me...
Surely it is not I, Lord?
The man I shall kiss is the one...
Take and eat: this is my body…
Drink, all of you: this is my blood…
You will deny me three times...
You could not keep watch with me for one hour?
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak...
Your will, not mine, be done...
I do not know the man!
And immediately a cock crowed...
Peter went out and wept, bitterly...
They began to spit on him...
Crucify him!
So Pilate, wishing to satisfy the crowd...
They crucified him...
They mocked him...
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Truly, this was the Son of God!
There were also many other women
looking on from a distance...
Any of these words, these phrases, these images
would be good food for prayer in the days ahead...

We enter the Week we call Holy
when Christians around the world pause
to remember and celebrate the death and resurrection
of Jesus Christ.
2009LentPostCollection
May the story of his suffering and death
refresh our faith in his love poured out for us...

As we gather throughout this week
let us recall and pray over the events
that brought us salvation...

May the words of Jesus' passion, embedded in our hearts,
bring us to the peace and joy of Easter.
2009lentpostcollection
(Wisely, the Church advises that the homily today be brief; this story needs little additional commentary.)

-ConcordPastor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!