5/18/09

Monday Morning Offering - 47


Image: George Mendoza

Good morning, good God!

I woke on Sunday morning
to the sounds of birds chirping in my backyard
and I wondered,
"When did they come back?"

Yesterday afternoon, sitting on my porch,
I noticed how the hedge along my driveway
was painted in bright green buds
and I know they didn't appear overnight...

A few minutes a day, the days grow longer
until now I expect the night to hold its fall
until a respectable mid-May hour...

How slowly, gradually, persistently
this season has made its way into my life:
its presence felt, heard, seen and smelled
a little more each day until the taste of spring
has begun to whet my appetite for summer...

I wonder, Lord, if I've woken yet to you
making your way into my life
slowly, gradually, persistently
making your presence known
like birds calling me in the morning,
colors catching my eye,
light lengthening my day...

Just as I don't want to miss a moment of spring, Lord,
let me hear you call me as soon as I wake...
let me see your brush strokes upon my path...
let me find your light evening my day into night, in peace...

Sharpen my senses, heighten my awareness,
make me sensitive to your hidden presence, Lord,
sounding, blooming, shining
slowly, gradually, persistently
like springtime rising in my backyard...

I offer you my desire to know you, Lord:
come into my life as surely as spring comes in May
and help me to walk gently with and among
those who cross my path this day...

Good God of my Monday mornings
and of every morning,
be with me this day
and every day this week...

Amen.

-ConcordPastor

2 comments:

  1. Serendipity:>) Below is a poem I found and posted this morning--

    In Cold Spring Air
    by Reginald Gibbons

    In cold
    spring air the
    white wisp-

    visible
    breath of
    a blackbird
    singing—

    we don’t know
    to un-
    wrap these blind-
    folds we
    keep thinking
    we are
    seeing through

    ReplyDelete
  2. About a week ago I spotted a hummingbird where I hang my hummingbird feeder. Generally, I haven't put it out until the very end of May or early June, as I didn't know that hummingbirds came earlier than that. I immediately filled it, put it out, and have been rewarded by seeing at least one hummingbird return! Ah, yes, spring is a lovely time. It teases us with its roller coaster temperatures, but it does gradually, gently unfold the wonders of nature. Spring is a new beginning.

    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!