5/19/09

When I was 26, it was a very good year!

I'm happy to share with you that it was 36 years ago today that I was ordained a priest for service in the Archdiocese of Boston. It's hard to believe that I've been ordained for more than half my 62 years!

May 19, 1973 was a beautiful day: the sun was shining and it was a tad cool - not unlike today in Concord. After ordination I jumped into my blue Volkswagen bug and drove north to a gathering of family and friends at my parents' home in Danvers. I remember driving across the Tobin Bridge and saying to myself, "Well, now you're a priest..." and I thought, "It's going to take a while for this to sink in!" And, truth be told, it's still sinking in: so many changes in the world, in the church, in my family, in me over the past 36 years. Some of those changes have been sad, others joyful, many of them a great surprise - but in all of them, the love of God making itself known, healing the grief and lifting up the joy. If you would like to share in this anniversary with me, please pray today: for all priests; for the priests of the class of 1973 in Boston; and for any priest who has been a blessing in your life. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

And a Happy Anniversary to Deacon Greg over on his Bench!

-ConcordPastor