7/9/09

For when I am weak, then I am strong...


Image: The Jesus Site
(Go to the site for the rest of a series on this image, related to this post...)


"My grace is sufficient for you,
for power is made perfect in weakness,"
says the Lord.

So I, Paul, boast most gladly of my weaknesses,
in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me.

Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults,
hardships, persecutions, and constraints,
for the sake of Christ;

for when I am weak, then I am strong...

These verses from last Sunday's second reading have been on the sidebar and in the back of my mind and heart since Saturday when I posted them.

Paul offers here, from his own experience, an important truth about the spiritual life of a Christian. These lines also give us an insight into the depths of Paul's faith and trust in Christ to help him through what ever "weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and constraints" he needs to endure. That list of hard times is certainly inclusive!

I know that I often find myself more inclined to skirt around the hard times rather than pray, work, walk and live through them - but it's clear that such a route is other than the way of the Cross, the path Christ's disciples are asked to walk.

Perhaps there are even times when we prefer and default to the consequences of our weaknesses rather than face and engage the demands that fidelity to Jesus and his path ask of us.

On the one hand, this scripture gives me much hope and on the other it presumes a faithfulness I know needs deepening in my own life.

How do Paul's words challenge you? How do they comfort you?

-ConcordPastor

8 comments:

  1. this scripture gives me hope as well...
    well, more truthfully, I wish it gave me hope...
    the truth is, I find it pretty confusing and I want very much to understand it so I might do what it asks me to do (what God asks me to do)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why didn't the people with the crosses that spanned the chasm let the man use one of theirs to get across?

    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  3. This series of images deals with the individual, your comment raises the question of the church as context for the individual's faith. Unfortunately, no one image can make every point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle:I am so weak ... yet I give hope to what is written in the scriptures. I make so many mistakes, fail at every turn ... yet ...end up turning to God. My God, who is there every time, catching me at every fall. You just have to look for him, Michelle. He's there ... waiting to catch you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "My grace is sufficient for you,
    for power is made perfect in weakness,"

    like you this quote has stuck with me...the week before as I prepared and then this week after hearing it preached so well.

    What a comfort to trust that God sees me even better than I see myself, weaknesses and all and loves me nonetheless!!! To remember this brings joy to every day!!!

    Thanks!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne: if you have the time, could you share some of what you heard in a homily on this text?

    ReplyDelete
  7. what I heard was to accept my weakness and not put as much focus on that, instead rejoice in knowing that God loves me that much, weakness and all.

    In a strange sort of way, my weakness is His joy because it pulls me ever closer to Him and allows grace to enter...it's a can't loose situation, mind boggling to my human mind but on some level I know it has to be so.

    My part has been to let go of all fear and trust Him enough to know it is so. To forget my human experiences of love and weakness and trust what He whispers into my heart. I've been figuring that my strength and weaknesses are just different sides of the same me and God love ALL of me.

    This is all about love, how grand is that?

    Anne

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!