8/10/09

On the Cape: a sunset mood in August


(Photo by ConcordPastor, click for larger version)

Here's some beautiful accompaniment for sunset on an August day on the Cape: Keith Jarrett and Jan Garbarek playing Jarrett's My Song.



And here's Mary Oliver's
August
When the blackberries hang
swollen in the woods, in the brambles
nobody owns, I spend

all day among the high
branches, reaching
my ripped arms, thinking

of nothing, cramming
the black honey of summer
into my mouth; all day my body

accepts what it is. In the dark
creeks that run by there is
this thick paw of my life darting among

the black bells, the leaves; there is
this happy tongue.


(In White Pine: Poems and Prose Poems by Mary Oliver)

9 comments:

  1. Awesome photo! Really loved the music and poem as well. I think you are getting into vacation mode! Are we going to have the pleasure of any Cape culinary reviews?

    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  2. CP- how can it be summer without mention of a wonderful Insalata Caprese?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photo, and the music is perfect with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because I've yet to encounter one worth commenting on - very disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful post and poem - once again Mary Oliver hits the spot - almost like a good summer caprese! Enjoy!
    -MDR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photo and song... ahhh.

    And then Mary Oliver.

    Perfect!

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Father,

    I hope you are enjoying your vacation.

    I have only recently come to appreciate the poetry of Mary Oliver through your blog. She is fantastic. I wanted to mention that some of her poetry has been put to music by Ronald Perera. My daughter was in "vocal vacation", a summer choral program run out of New England Conservatory and this summer at their concert they presented a portion of the composition called "Why I wake Early". It was really beautiful and I thought you might have an interest.

    Thank you for your blog and particularly the Monday Morning Offering.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Read a good review in the Globe about a restaurant in Hyannis (close to the airport):

    www.paindavignon.com

    Am not sure if it is lunch only, but menu sounds good and breads sound delicious!

    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, I now have another poem other than "Aurora Leigh", to associate with one of my favorite summer delicacies -- blackberries.

    Earth's crammed with heaven,
    And every common bush afire with God;
    But only he who sees takes off his shoes;
    The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.
    From Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!