11/1/09

November

Yesterday it was warm enough to sit on my side porch to work on my homily. I spent many relaxing (and productive) hours on that porch this summer. I suspect that yesterday was my last opportunity to enjoy that venue, in shirtsleeves, until next spring...

-ConcordPastor



We saw leaves go to glory,
Then almost migratory
Go part way down the lane,
And then to end the story
Get beaten down and pasted
In one wild day of rain.
We heard " 'Tis Over" roaring.
A year of leaves was wasted.
Oh, we made a boast of storing,
Of saving and keeping,
But only by ignoring
The waste of moments sleeping,
The waste of pleasure weeping,
By denying and ignoring
The waste of nations warring.

-Robert Frost

2 comments:

  1. Powerful poem. Always thought Frost got a bum rap for being considered too sentimental. I've always found him clear and true. Thanks for introducing this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the poem and the photo ... great combination!

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!