12/22/09

Remembering Mary in Advent

Some years back I supervised a field education student in a campus ministry setting. Chris was pregnant when she ended her assignment with us and at our last meeting she brought me some flowers. In a card with the flowers Chris thanked me for my work with her and promised that she would "carry me with her..."

I remember being very moved to know that someone who was carrying new life within her would, somehow, carry me, too.

The experience of bearing new life into the world is something that a woman understands from a unique perspective: love takes flesh in her body and new life is created...

How much there is of our understanding sacrament and sacrifice, of the Word become flesh that women's witness can enrich and enhance in a unique and irreplaceable fashion!

In this Advent time I ponder Mary musing on the new life stirring in her womb.
Certainly she pondered the mystery of an angel's visit and the message delivered. Certainly she shared Joseph's anxious moments. Certainly she carried many thoughts with her as she carried her child in her womb. Perhaps this is why, since ancient times, Christians have asked her to carry their prayers to her son...

As Advent comes to its close, what thoughts and prayers, worries and concerns, joys and hopes might you ask Mary, who carried Jesus within her, to carry even now to her son?


Image: WillowTreeCherish

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post and I love the image, although Willow Tree is not usually my thing.

    I offered a reflection about Mary at Evening Prayer last night and if I had read this *before* I did so, I would have included some of your thoughts - will full credit of course.

    Thank you for all you do here with your internet parish and pulpit. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!