4/22/10

Pope accepts Irish bishop's resignation


Bishop Jim Moriarty: Kandle
The Holy Father Pope Benedict XVI has today (4/22/10) formally accepted my resignation as Bishop of Kildare & Leighlin, which I offered on 23rd December, in the wake of the Murphy Report.

The decision to offer my resignation was the most difficult decision of my ministry. I did not anticipate resigning when I first read the Murphy Report, because I was not directly criticised. However, the Murphy Report covers far more than what individual Bishops did or did not do. Renewal must begin with accepting responsibility for the past. I served as an Auxiliary Bishop in the Archdiocese of Dublin from 1991 until my appointment to this diocese in 2002. I was part of the governance of the Archdiocese prior to when correct child protection policies and procedures were implemented. Again I accept that from the time I became an Auxiliary Bishop, I should have challenged the prevailing culture. Once more I apologise to all survivors and their families...

(Read the rest of Bishop Moriarty's statement here)
In the wake of the Murphy Report, Moriarty is the second Irish bishop whose resignation has been accepted by the pope, the first was Bishop Donal Murray of Limerick who resigned last December.

Several other Irish bishops have offered their resignations and await the pope's response.



Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

2 comments:

  1. I think this must happen for the Catholic church to suvive and earn respect. It is a shame that so many innoncent clergy are being tainted as are many of us Catholics......God will see us through this and we will become stronger because of these hurtful sins, I am praying for the sinners, hating the sins and loving the victims, may God give them strength to suvive this unnecessary pain.
    ........:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what is going through Pope Benedict's mind as he reads this....This honest and brave bishop deserves the highest accolades for doing the correct thing in my opinion. I wonder who will be next to step up and face the truth.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!