4/2/10

A prayer for Good Friday


Meditation on the Crucifixion by Mimi Ess (be sure to click on image for larger version)


While Meditating Upon the Passion

I long to be the teardrop
Rolling ever so slowly down your cheek
Searching the curves and creases of your most holy face
Lightly kissing moisture upon your dry lips.

I long to be the air that becomes your breath
Bought with your agony as you push up to draw me in,
Absorbed into your body offered to the Father,
Flowing mercy from your wounds,
Exhaling love upon the world.

I long to be the cry
Welling up from the depths of your soul
Blinded by the night that envelops it.
Rushing to meet you as the all-consuming pain
draws you deeper into the darkness,
Finally bursting forth a helpless scream,
The cry of God - to God -
For mercy.

I long to be the last beat of your heart,
Suspended there in time
Until the Father grants you life anew
And then -
Captured there in eternity,
A prisoner of Divine Love.

- Brenda Stinson




Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

6 comments:

  1. Amen Father.....Happy Easter..Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father, I would like to thank you for the sharing of your reflections, your thoughtful insertion of pieces of art and music, and your staying away from the news that tears at the soul (even as it is a necessary part of our human journey of purification). This site has been a spiritual oasis for me during my Lenten pilgrimage. May the great blessings and grace of Easter joy be received in the abundance it is offered through our liturgies this weekend by you and your parishioners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind words, AT and UK - you're in my prayers this Easter weekend, and John, too, who shares Eternal Easter peace with the Risen Jesus...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this poem very much. Thank you. What a magnificent meditation!

    Happy Easter, Father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You offered this prayer as a handout last year at church. I say it every day. "The cry of God to God for mercy" especially touches my heart.

    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday, on Good Friday, I was drawn to take some time to reflect on how I should feel about the day, about the recalling of Jesus' suffering and death. Instead of being drawn to a church, the warmth of the sunny day seemed to draw me outside. As I observed the rebirth of spring all around, it came to me: gratitude. That is what Jesus would want me to feel. The death and suffering are behind Him and us now, and we should feel gratitude, profound gratitude for such love.

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!