5/12/10

The Future of the Church in Ireland


Photo of Archbishop Martin: AFP

Here's an excerpt from an address given by Diarmuid Martin, Archbishop of Dublin and Primate of Ireland. In the Irish Church Martin provides a clear, strong, faithful voice in the wilderness of sexual abuse by clergy. The address is lengthy but I recommend it for your reading.

Among many of Martin's points, I'm most struck by the one in the last paragraph I've excerpted below: "I sometimes worry when I hear those with institutional responsibility stress the role of the institution, and others then in reaction saying that 'we are the Church'. Perhaps on both sides there may be an underlying feeling that 'I am the Church', that the Church must be modelled on my way of thinking or on my position."

The discussion so often, easily and simplistically divides into "us versus them." That path leads not to healing and change but rather dead ends in division -- regardless of the side on which we might find ourselves.

Read on and be sure to read the whole address here.
What do I say about the future of the Catholic Church in Ireland? The sociological data send us mixed signals. Public opinion varies from those who would like the Catholic Church slowly, through its own implosion, to fade into the social irrelevance of private individual choice, to those who would like reform on their own terms, to those who would blindly stay with things as they are, to those who call for renewal through repentance. And there are many other viewpoints.

The Church is a reality of faith. As a person of faith I know that the future of the Church in Ireland is not in my hands, but that its future will be guided by the Lord, who is with his Church at all times. Yesterday’s Gospel reminded us that the Father would send the Spirit who, at each moment in the history of the Church, would teach us all things in Jesus name. In that sense I cannot be pessimistic about the future of the Church in Ireland.

On the other hand, as one entrusted with the responsibility of pastoral leadership I have the mission to guide that portion of the Church entrusted to my care along a path of renewal and conversion which ensures that what grows and matures into the future truly is the Church of Jesus Christ and not something of our own creation.

On a purely personal level, as Diarmuid Martin, I have never since becoming Archbishop of Dublin felt so disheartened and discouraged about the level of willingness to really begin what is going to be a painful path of renewal and of what is involved in that renewal.

How do I reconcile these differing trends in my reflection on the future of the Catholic Church in Ireland? On a personal level, I have no choice but to lay aside personal discouragement and continue day-by-day the search for personal conversion and renewal and to re-discover for my own life the essentials of the message of Jesus Christ.

The future of the Catholic Church in Ireland will see a very different Catholic Church in Ireland. I sometimes worry when I hear those with institutional responsibility stress the role of the institution, and others then in reaction saying that “we are the Church”. Perhaps on both sides there may be an underlying feeling that “I am the Church”, that the Church must be modelled on my way of thinking or on my position. Renewal is never our own creation. Renewal will only come through returning to the Church which we have received from the Lord.

(more...)


Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

2 comments:

  1. I can't help but feel saddened that those in institutional roles have learned so little about collaboration and collegiality after all these years. After all the experience in the States with the abuse scandals, has anyone come asking, "What is your experience? What did you do well? What shouldn't we do? What have you learned?" There is so much wisdom that could be shared, but I have a feeling that the hands are covering the ears and the mouth is saying, "La la la la la."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to believe that the Holy Spirit is alive and well, no matter how grim it all seems today. Ae things changing? Who knows! Keep an eye out to see who gets promoted within the Church. That I think will be a sign as to where the Church (meaning the pope, the Vatican) is heading. I'm afraid that unless the pope cleans up the Vatican and the Episcopacy the divisions among us will continue to grow. Many good people will be seeking new ways of celebrating the Eucharist. Let's get back on the Vatican II path that teaches the belief that the church is always in need of reform,(Ecclesia semper reformanda). Listen to the Faithful!

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!