5/22/10

Pentecost 2010 Novena - Day 9


Image by Crooked Path Studio





Pentecost Novena to the Holy Spirit - Day 9

The oldest novena is the prayer of the first disciples from the time Jesus ascended to his Father (40 days after Easter) to the feast of Pentecost. These nine days are a time for us to pray for the coming of the Spirit upon the Church and upon each of us. Each day of the novena you'll find a post with scripture and prayer for the day. There's a widget at the top of the sidebar with 17 musical selections for this Pentecost novena. (If you are just joining us, click on the window at the top of the side bar for previous entries.)

From scripture:
The LORD is in his holy temple;
the LORD’s throne is in heaven.
His eyes behold,

his searching glance is on humankind.


The LORD searches the just and the wicked;

the lover of violence he hates.

For the LORD is just, he loves just deeds;

the upright shall see his face.
Psalm 11:4, 5 , 7

For reflection...
• As I may be quick to judge others,
do I also judge my own words and deeds
to see that they are upright in the Lord's eyes?

• Do I seek to discern what is right and just
especially on behalf of the Lord's beloved poor?
Do I work for that justice? Do I pray for it?

• Do I recognize violence for what it is
and for what it is in God's eyes?

• Am I conscious of violence in my speech?
in my entertainment? in my politics?

• Do I pray to do no one harm in thought or deed?

• What shall I pray for the Church today?

The Gifts of the Holy Spirit (as they are named in the Rite of Confirmation) include: wisdom... the spirit of understanding and right judgment... courage... the spirit of knowledge and reverence... and the spirit of wonder and awe in God's presence... For which of the Spirit's gifts will I pray today?

• Choose one of the songs from the top of the sidebar and make it part of today's prayer...



Let us pray:
Come, Holy Spirit of God!
Give us the courage to choose
the way of peace;
Give us wisdom to find and follow
the path of non-violence.

Watch over those in harm's way
those who serve and protect us
with their lives.

Teach us to be just
in our words and deeds
that others will see in them
the beauty of God's face.


Harvest within and among us
the fruits of your presence:
love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,
goodness, faithfulness, gentleness
and self-control.

Come, Holy Spirit,
fill the hearts of your people
and kindle in us the fire of your love.
Send forth your Spirit and we shall be created
and you will renew the face of the earth.

Our Father... Hail Mary... Glory be...


Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!