8/12/10

Concord Pastor's book shelf - Updated



I've added a new widget to the sidebar which will introduce you to my three books. And my thanks to reader "AT" who, in the combox, reminded me to add a video to my bookshelf:

Preparing for Liturgy:
a theology and spirituality


Prayerbook for Engaged Couples


Parish Weddings

Our Catholic Wedding

Preparing for Liturgy is a basic introduction to the theology and spirituality of the worship we offer as Roman Catholics. It's intended primarily for folks who work in liturgy in a parish setting. (This is the second edition of this text and I'm grateful to Vicky Tufano for her assistance in preparing the revised edition.)

Prayerbook for Engaged Couples is just what the title says. Each short "chapter" is two pages long: one page offers a scriptural or ritual text from the marriage rite and the other guides the couple in praying over it - and thus, beginning to pray together. This book is intended to complement, not to replace, a fine text like Paul Covino's Celebrating Marriage: Preparing the Roman Catholic Wedding Liturgy. I give Prayerbook for Engaged Couples to a couple at our first meeting, encouraging them to use it to pray together as they approach their marriage. Later on, I give them Celebrating Marriage as a guide for preparing their wedding liturgy.

Parish Weddings is written for anyone on a parish staff who serves engaged couples as they prepare to celebrate their marriage in a Catholic church. The book also guides a parish staff in crafting a parish policy on celebrating weddings.

Our Catholic Wedding offers the sights and sounds of what the Rite of Marriage calls for. I was pleased to work on this video with Paul Covino whose book I noted above. This video can be especially helpful to couples whose own experience hasn't included some of the options available, for instance, the entrance procession as the Rite of Marriage envisions it.

Check the widget on the sidebar for more information and to order. (And, of course, these books are also available on Amazon.com)


Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

5 comments:

  1. Father, don't forget your video - Our Catholic Wedding. I am an adjunct professor teaching marriage at a large university. I use this video every semester. It is very good. When I show it at the end of the semester I stop often to add commentary, explanations, and suggestions on how the liturgy can be truly be the highlight of the wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in possession of Preparing for Liturgy and I think it is a great book; as a liturgist I would not want to be without it. It is also a good book to use as a teaching tool with people who want to understand and learn about liturgy.

    You very beautifully point out how organic the liturgy is and that we participate in something happening, not create a project plan. (My language not yours!) I guess it underscores for me that all is in response to God.

    I'm glad that you are promoting your work here - it deserves to be widely read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preparing for Liturgy...I love this book,especially the reflections for liturgical ministers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE "preparing For Liturgy" I have used it for many years at the beginning of each choir year, at lector workshops, at cantor workshops and when I felt my ensemble needed to be reminded of why they are there!
    It not only gives theological reflection, but it does it so artfully and poetically!
    Thank you for this, father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, now it looks like I need to find your book, Preparing for Liturgy.

    :-))))

    ReplyDelete

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!