10/11/10

Monday Morning Offering - 114


Image: George Mendoza

Good morning, good God!

It’s Monday, Lord, and here I am,
ready to begin this week with you by my side,
in my heart,
and on the tip of my tongue…

On the tip of my tongue - where did that come from?

From you?

Oh…

Let me think about that...

I mean, let me pray about that...

You want to be on the tip of my tongue?
- like the word I've forgotten but want to remember…
- like the prayer I want to pray but fail to say…
- like the Name in my heart that sticks in my throat
for fear you may not hear when I call you -
or for fear that you will...

But you want to be on the tip of my tongue...

You want me to remember the words that bring peace…

You want me to pray, even when words fail me…

You want to hear me call your Name
because you love the sound of my voice…

(Why is it so hard for me
to believe you want to hear me
when I want so much to believe that you do?)

Stir up my peaceful memories, Lord,
and remind me of words to calm my soul…

Let your Spirit pray within me,
laughing aloud and crying out my heart to you:
my soul’s silence finally voiced…

Bring your Name to my lips
and I will call you as you call me:
by name and by heart…

Give me a glossary of grace,
page after page of words
to bring my faith to speech…

Open my mouth for the Spirit’s prayer
to tumble from my tongue
in plea and praise…

Hear me when I call your Name,
Jesus… Jesus… Jesus…
and help me answer when you call mine…

Let the words that come to the tip of my tongue
be words of peace, of truth, of mercy and love -
and give me courage to speak my words
to any who might need to hear them...

You are the Word,
yours is the Spirit,
yours is the Name
I trust and love…

Jesus,
be on the tip of my tongue
this morning, this day, this week,
and hear me
when I call upon you…

Amen.

(For an archive of previous Monday Morning Offerings,
check here or click on the coffee cup at the top of the sidebar...)



Subscribe to A Concord Pastor Comments

1 comment:

Please THINK before you write
and PRAY before you think!